Change of Name.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Alcluith

Change of Name.....

Post by Alcluith » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:58 pm

I have two people in my family tree that have had a change of surname.
One was illegitimate and his mother subsequent married.

The second it would appear that his parents died and he was taken in by his aunt who give him her married surname.

Both of these were in the late 1870/1880s Would there have to be some formal registration of this name change?

mesklin

Change of name

Post by mesklin » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:04 pm

Drew

In Scotland, the basic answer is NO. As long as the intent is not to defraud, then you can use any name you like. My family has several examples of surname change, even up to passport issue!

Can't think of any other country that allows it's people that much trust.

Dave

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:22 pm

I have one who was illegitimate, as was her mother. She used 3 names to begin with. McDougall from her natural father and McDonald and Fraser from her mothers parents. Her mother then married a Fraser(to complicate things) These names all shown on various BMD's and census.

She then went on to marry a McDonald and then secondly marry a Cameron.

So she used 6 surnames in her lifetime!!! Quite an achievement.........or.....can any one beat that?

Jean

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:05 pm

Jean - with Frasers I'd believe anything is possible :?

'My' Jeanie Fraser Gray drove me scatty :shock:
Wilma

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:22 pm

I'm still waiting on confirmation that I have found the birth of my Fraser. Apart from her 3 possible maiden names. She was an Elsie!!! So Elspet/Elizabeth/Isabella etc. The combinations are awesome. Awaiting cert from SP, hoping it is the right one, as the image was not available. Doesn't it just annoy you when that happens for a stat. birth.

Jean

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:12 pm

Jean Jeanie wrote:I'm still waiting on confirmation that I have found the birth of my Fraser. Apart from her 3 possible maiden names. She was an Elsie!!! So Elspet/Elizabeth/Isabella etc. The combinations are awesome. Awaiting cert from SP, hoping it is the right one, as the image was not available. Doesn't it just annoy you when that happens for a stat. birth.

Jean
I think that I posed this question on the SP DG, but it's worth a re-run (If you've seen it before jist haud yer wheest :!: )

What would you think was the name on the birth register entry for the wee lassie known throughout her life as "Essie"?

Answers in an envelope, please, along with a the highest denomination banknote that you can afford ................. :roll:

Davie

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:23 pm

I would plump for Esther. Reason:- I had an Auntie Essie, real name Esther!! Not that that helps, but hey that's my reckoning.

Jean

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:17 pm

Jean Jeanie wrote:I would plump for Esther. Reason:- I had an Auntie Essie, real name Esther!! Not that that helps, but hey that's my reckoning.

Jean
Nope!

Incorrect answer in this instance :!:

Davie

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:56 pm

Hi Davie

What about Estelle?

Catriona

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:09 pm

CatrionaL wrote:Hi Davie