deaths.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:32 am

Hi Joyce

Your grandfather died towards the end of 1918, aged 45. The death is registered in the December quarter. The full reference is

1918, Dec - Morgan, Malcolm B - 45 - Camberwell - 1d 1732

As you probably know, you can buy these certificates online at a cost of £7

You didn't say when your father was born but here is Malcolm and family in 1901:

1901 Census

RG13/200 - Reg Dist Islington - Sub Reg Dist Highbury - ED 26 - Folio 87 - Page 46
Civil Parish - Islington, Ecclesiastical Parish - St Barnabas
Schedule 310
49 Drayton Park

Malcolm Morgan - Head - Mar - 29 - Job Carter Stable - born London, Islington
Helen Morgan - Wife - Mar - 33 - born Manchester
Kenneth Morgan - Son - 7 - born Herts, Barnet
Bertie Morgan - Son - 4 - Herts, Barnet
Maud D'Est - Servant - Single - 20 - General Servant Domestic - born London, Highbury

I will see if I can find your great-grandfather Andrew's death.

Have you got the images for the 1871/1881/1891/1901 censuses or just an index or transcription? I have the images for all of them so let me know if you'd like them.

Mary

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:15 am

Hi again

After I'd posted I wondered whether your grandfather had actually been killed in the war, given the year of death, so I had a look at the Commonwealth War Graves Commision site ( www.cwgc.org ) and yes, he was on it. He actually died three days after the war ended - 14 Nov 1918 - how incredibly sad! Presumably he'd been wounded a bit earlier. He's buried in the New Southgate Cemetery in Hertfordshire, grave number L.1720

The cemetery details are given as follows:

'The cemetery is in the extreme south of the county. It contains 109 Commonwealth burials from the 1914-1918 war, scattered throughout the cemetery, 51 German burials from Alexander Palace Internment camp, and two Belgian soldiers. There are also 86 Commonwealth burials from the 1939-45 war. The Cross of Sacrifice is erected in front of the Chapel, and behind the Cross is a screen wall bearing the names of those whose graves could not be marked by headstones.'

If you go to the website I've given you above and enter surname Morgan, initials M B, then select WW1, range of dates 1918-1918 there's only one hit. Click on it and the first page gives you details of name, rank, regiment, service number etc. If you then click on 'Details' you'll get the info about the cemetery then if you go back to the first page and click on 'Certificate' you will get a lovely commemorative certificate - well worth printing out on nice glossy photo paper.

Knowing the details you might be able to find him on The National Archives site under the medal rolls - www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov . I did have a quick look without any success but it might be worth a more careful look.

Really nice to know where he's buried though!

Mary

joyce

death cert

Post by joyce » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:09 pm

hi mary
thank you for the info would you send me the images please,my father who was herbert morgan told my mother he had been in the 1914 war but said he was in tha australian army for 15yrs but we could never get any prof of this so i dont no if it was true or not ,thank you for your help im now going to look at the site you gave me
joyce
looking for my ancestors from as far back as i can get names
morgan.marshall.williamson.cowan

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:05 pm

Hi Joyce

Can you let me have your email address so I can send you the census images. You can either post it here or if you don't want to make it public you can send it as a private message by clicking on the 'pm' at the bottom of this post.

If your father was Herbert he is presumably the 4-yr-old Bertie in the 1901 census?

Mary