A Gordon for me.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

hbaird

Post by hbaird » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:52 am

Morning Jimmy,

If you are coming to sunny Airdrie (today we are under about three inches of snow!) make sure you call in to the Local History Dept of Airdrie Library (upstairs from the actual library). They should be able to give you information of the mine accident. They also have a fabulous collection of photographs called the Kennedy collection, taken by the local sanitary inspector and amateur photographer on his rounds. There are photos of Flowerhill Street taken in the late fifties/early sixties before the town planners started bulldozing and modernising.

All the best,
Helen
Searching for: Baird, McCusker, McGugan, Kelly,McCulloch, Meikle, McCartney

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:14 pm

JimmyH wrote:Hello Andy
Yet again I'm in awe of the ingenuity of the forum members.
That's brilliant, it may take may a wee while to go through all that information but hey, it'll keep me off the streets.
Thanks a million
Jimmy
Jimmy

Are there reasons that it's advisable to keep you off the streets ? :shock:

I was going to get involved in this thread, but see no need now in view of all the magnificant assistance that you are receiving ! =D>

Davie

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:15 pm

Narrowing down Elizabeth's death date.

Did you notice on the 1881 census that a couple of the children also had a "G" in the name Gemmell?

Dwelling: 162 Boden St
Census Place: Barony, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203632 GRO Ref Volume 644-1 EnumDist 84 Page 8
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Elizabeth MC K. OR GORDON W 53 F Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: Housekeeper
Emily MC K. OR GORDON U 28 F Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Weaver Cotton
John MC K. OR GORDON U 25 M Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Stone Mason
Fanny MC K. OR GORDON U 23 F Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland
Occ: Weaver Cotton
Robert MC K. OR GORDON U 20 M Pollockshaws, Renfrew, Scotland
Occ: Stoker In Cotton Factory
George G. MC K. OR GORDON U 18 M Pollockshaws, Renfrew, Scotland
Occ: Painter
Martha G. MC K. OR GORDON 12 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Occ: Scholar
John MC K. OR GORDON 10 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Grandson
Occ: Scholar

A search for Martha Gemmell in 1891 age between 20 and 24 yields only one possible in Lanark.

She is staying with a 70 year old, widowed mother, Elizabeth, a dressmaker from Ireland.

There are only a couple of possible marriages for a Martha Gemmell in the area between 1891 and 1901. The 1896 one in Dennistoun between Michael Wood and Matrtha Gemmell gives her parents as John Gemmell a quarreyman (dec) and Elizabeth McKay still living.

Couldn't see a likely Elizabeth McKay/Gordon/Gemmell in 1901 so did a wee death search between 1896 and 1901, One sticks out for Dennistoun Elizabeth Gordon (this time). Naming the father, George, a soldier and Elizabeth Marshall as the mother. The death was reported by Sarh Morrison, daughter.

There is an Airdrie born Sarah Morrison in Barony in 1881:

Dwelling: 284 Main Street
Census Place: Barony, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203630 GRO Ref Volume 644-1 EnumDist 43 Page 10
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Sarah MORRISON M 29 F Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Wife (Head)
Occ: Shopkeeper
James MORRISON 6 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Emily MORRISON 2 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Dau

IGI has the birth of a James Morison to James and Sarah Gordon who were married 13 JUN 1873 Bridgeton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.

So looks like we have found Elizabeth's death, the sister, Emily was more likely to know the parents names but the father, George, a soldier is pretty good evidence in my book.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:19 pm

I'm going for a lie down now, that one was was a bit difficult!!!!
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

JimmyH

Post by JimmyH » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:08 pm

Hello Helen
Thanks for that info, sounds very interesting and that'll go on my to do list
And Davie
Yer certainly not wrong about the magnificent assistance, even more so with Andy's latest post. As for keeping off the streets, folk just scream and run away when I come down the road. Maybe it's the kilt, I've had it since I was a page boy at my Aunty's wedding in 1951. A tad short I think.
And as for you Andy, it's nae wunner yer needin' a lie doon, you've did in a couple of hours what I've been struggling with for a couple of years.
When I started this post, I was hoping for one or two replies, maybe giving me a few pointers. With the amount of replies and information I've received [not to mention the lessons I've learned] the expression "Gobsmacked" springs to mind.
So from me to all of you "Wha's like yese?...you know the rest"
From a grateful Jimmy

Jack

Censuses

Post by Jack » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:43 pm

Hi Jimmy,

A good enumerator in 1851! I've just added the 1881 from Andy's post to enable them all to be viewed together. Haven't had a really good delve into what's happening - but some things did stick out.
Jean found the 1855 BC of John GORDON with his mother as MARY - was that name an error? Did father John sign with an X?
Robert GORDON born 23 Mar 1861 Eastwood (if he is the same Robert on later censuses) is not with the family in 1861 (census night was 7/8 April). His BC address might help confirm if he is "yours".
Just a thought on why he could be missing - the census form had been filled out for Elizabeth's family before he was born?
--
1851 cens 651 (643) Ed14 p12 (Airdrie)
39 High St.
John GORDON, head, marr, 27, ironstone miner, b Tyrone, Ireland
Biddy GORDON, wife, 23, miner's wife, b Dublin, Ireland
Mary GORDON, daur, 4, ------------ b Airdrie
Sarah GORDON, daur, 1, --------- b Airdrie
--
1861 cens 562 Ed7 pp33/34 (Eastwood)
1 Greenbank St, Pollokshaws.
Elizabeth GORDON, head, widow, 34, dressmaker, b Ireland
Mary GORDON, daur, 14, powerloom weaver, b Airdrie
Sarah GORDON, daur, 11, cotton bleacher, b Airdrie
Emily GORDON, daur, 9, scholar, b Airdrie
John GORDON, son, 6, scholar, b Airdrie
Frances GORDON, daur, 3, -------- b Airdrie
--
1871 cens 644-3 Ed104 pp12/13 (Calton)
8 Scott St.
Sarah GAMBEL, head, marr, 39, housekeeper, b Ireland..............[yes - as Sarah 39 & married - no hubby at home]
Mary GORDON, daur, u/m 22, cotton weaver, b Airdrie
Sarah GORDON, daur, u/m 20, cotton weaver, b Airdrie
Emily GORDON, daur, u/m 18, cotton weaver, b Airdrie
John GORDON, son, 15, tape dresser's asst., b Airdrie
Fanny GORDON, daur, 13, cotton weaver, b Airdrie
Robert GORDON, son, 9, message boy, b Airdrie [sic]
George GAMBLE, son, 7, scholar, b Pollokshaws
Martha GAMBLE, daur, 2, ---------- b Glasgow
--
1881 Census Place: Barony, Lanark, Scotland
Dwelling: 162 Boden St
Source: FHL Film 0203632 GRO Ref Volume 644-1 EnumDist 84 Page 8
Elizabeth MC K. OR GORDON W 53 F Ireland Rel: Head Occ: Housekeeper
Emily MC K. OR GORDON U 28 F Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Weaver Cotton
John MC K. OR GORDON U 25 M Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Stone Mason
Fanny MC K. OR GORDON U 23 F Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Weaver Cotton
Robert MC K. OR GORDON U 20 M Pollockshaws, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Stoker In Cotton Factory
George G. MC K. OR GORDON U 18 M Pollockshaws, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Painter
Martha G. MC K. OR GORDON 12 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar
John MC K. OR GORDON 10 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Grandson Occ: Scholar
--
Jack

JustJean

Re: Censuses

Post by JustJean » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:51 pm

Jack wrote:Hi Jimmy,

A good enumerator in 1851! I've just added the 1881 from Andy's post to enable them all to be viewed together. Haven't had a really good delve into what's happening - but some things did stick out.
Jean found the 1855 BC of John GORDON with his mother as MARY - was that name an error? Did father John sign with an X?........snipped....
Jack
Hi Jimmy and forgive me for jumping in with this.....

Jack you are an O:) to get the census data!! Because this is such a confusing trail I am posting the 1855 birth image here...

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-85

You will see that John did sign his name. Also interesting to note the results for a search for a marriage in Airdrie in 1845 turns up this

1 Dec 1845 GORDON JOHN MARY MCKAY/FR1869 M NEW MONKLAND 651/00 0007 No Image
2 1 May 1845 GORDON JOHN MARY MCKAY/FR1862 M NEW MONKLAND 651/00 0007 No Image

hmmmm.......

Jean

JimmyH

Post by JimmyH » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:32 am

Hello Jack & Jean
That's terrific information. At the start of this post I knew practically nothing about Elizabeth/Bridget/Mary/Biddy/Sarah - McK/ McKay / Gordon/Gemmell/Gambel and in the space of a few days I know more about her than I do about my wife.
By the way Jack, maybe Elizabeth tucked the young Robert out of the way rather than have to explain that the youngster's daddy had died 4 years before he was born.
Thanks again for your time and trouble
Jimmy

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:40 am

Hi Jimmy,

Forgot to send this in - the ones that Jean was hmmm...ing at! So was i - that's why i'd a look.

The pages were more like something from an accounts book, rather than your normal marriage pages, and seem to be a record of all incomes & expenditures.
They were balanced at the end of each month - showing the amount in hand for the following month. Quite small writing, but very neat.
--
OPR 651-7 page 353.
Collected 4th sabbath in May 1845,
John Gordon & Mary McKay both in this parish, 3/6.

OPR 651-7 page 367.
Collected 2nd sabbath in December 1845,
John Gordon & Mary McKay both in this parish, 3/6.
--
It doesn't actually say what day they did marry.

Jack

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:32 am

Three and six to have Banns posted in 1845 was very steep. No wonder so many folk didn't bother.

The Statistical Account for the area in 1845 give the wages of Labourers at between 10/- to 12/- per week so 3/6 was a small fortune.