Help in finding 1857 marriage cert.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

capricorn

Help in finding 1857 marriage cert.....

Post by capricorn » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:25 pm

I have three children born to John Mundell and Margaret Finlay, all the childrens birth certs. state they were married Oct 1857, Glasgow, but there seems to be no record of it on Scotlandspeople. I have searched with just John M* and Margaret Fin* for the year 1857. I only get one hit for this year, a John McDonald and Margaret Findlayson, married in Aberdeen.
Does anyone know if all marriages that took place in the year 1857 are complete on Scotlandspeople?
If yes, then I guess they must have been telling porkies about being married in Glasgow or even Scotland.

Thanks for any help on this.
Liz

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:40 pm

I've found seven children on the online IGI to this couple, and a probable marriage.

ROBERT JAMES MUNDEL - Birth: 05 JUL 1858 Milton, Glasgow, Lanark
WILLIAM MUNDEL - Birth: 20 FEB 1860 Milton, Glasgow, Lanark
JOHN ALEXANDER MUNDEL - Birth: 25 FEB 1862 Milton, Glasgow, Lanark
ANN WALLACE MUNDEL - Birth: 22 MAR 1864 Milton, Glasgow, Lanark
WILLIAM FINDLAY MUNDELL - Birth: 28 MAY 1867 Bridgeton, Glasgow, Lanark
SAMUEL MUNDELL - Birth: 03 NOV 1869 Milton, Glasgow, Lanark
THOMAS MUNDELL - Birth: 10 APR 1872 Milton, Glasgow, Lanark

12 OCT 1857 - Marriage: Central District, Glasgow, Lanark
ELI MUNDELL / MARGARET FINDLAY
That certificate has to be well worth you having a look at. Is 12th Oct 1857 the date given on the birth certificates? Could John really be misread as Eli, or has there been a name change.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson
Last edited by AndrewP on Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grannysrock

eli?

Post by grannysrock » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:44 pm

Hi Liz

On the IGI there is a marriage of Margaret Findlay to ELI Mundell
12 OCT 1857 Central District, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland . Could this be a mistranscription ?

All the best
Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

DavidWW

Re: Help in finding 1857 marriage cert.

Post by DavidWW » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:45 pm

capricorn wrote:I have three children born to John Mundell and Margaret Finlay, all the childrens birth certs. state they were married Oct 1857, Glasgow, but there seems to be no record of it on Scotlandspeople. I have searched with just John M* and Margaret Fin* for the year 1857. I only get one hit for this year, a John McDonald and Margaret Findlayson, married in Aberdeen.
Does anyone know if all marriages that took place in the year 1857 are complete on Scotlandspeople?
If yes, then I guess they must have been telling porkies about being married in Glasgow or even Scotland.

Thanks for any help on this.
Liz
Hi Liz

It might have been the case that Margaret was "Maggie", so have try on the basis of her given name as "Ma*g*" .....................

And then there's always the possibility of an "irregular" marriage, - perfectly legal, - which was never formalised, in the sense of leading to an entry in the GROS marriage register.

Davie

capricorn

Post by capricorn » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:54 pm

Thanks Andrew, I have all the children. I already had William's birth cert with his parents' date of marriage. When I could'nt find the marriage, I downloaded another two birth certs on the off chance there may have been an error with date of the marriage on William's birth cert. But, the others also had Oct. 1857, Glasgow. I know both John and Margaret were born in Ireland, but why say 'married in Glasgow' at least three times?
My lot have always been a confusing lot, never making it easy, well I guess that's half the fun. Is'nt it!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again
Liz

capricorn

Post by capricorn » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:57 pm

Sally, You're a star, I'll get onto that right away. I know John and Margarets parent's names, so if that's him hiding under an alias, I'll get him.
Thanks so much
Liz

capricorn

Post by capricorn » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:06 pm

Thanks David, I'm going to try Sally's suggestion first, if that's not him, I'll try for "Ma*g*" I knew you could search with * but never realised you could also use * between letters of a name. Thanks for the tip.
Thanks again everyone for all your help
Liz