Help with place of death please.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

karenmcc

Help with place of death please.....

Post by karenmcc » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:14 am

Hi All,

I don't know if I am doing this the right way, but I have uploaded an image of my GGuncles (Neil McGibbon) death registry.

I can't understand what it says for place of death. ?? Townholm Foundry?

I have also searched the site for information on the register of corrected entries. Can they be viewed on SP, or is it another thing we are still waiting for?

Karen McCubbin

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:08 am

Hi Karen

The cause of death was due to drowning. Looks like to me the place of death was "In Lake of Townholm Foundry".

RCE entries are not available online yet but are promised for sometime this year I believe. If anyone were going to NRH the data can be transcribed. In my own research I had a GrGrAunt who drowned in 1891 in the Forth & Clyde Canal. Her RCE entry stated when the body was discovered and where, what time she was last seen alive, and the burial place and undertaker's name in addition to the info already shown on the DC.

Best regards,
Jean

karenmcc

help with place of death

Post by karenmcc » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:34 am

Hi Jean,

I thought it was supposed to be "In Lake", but it looks like "In fade" and I thought it might be some Scottish term that I am unaware of.

thanks
Karen McCubbin

mesklin

Post by mesklin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:59 am

Karen

The term is 'lade' which is a diverted stream used to bring water to a mill, factory or foundry. Like a canal, but not navigable.
As a kid, I used to play around the lade which fed water to the local Steel Foundry.

Dave

karenmcc

Post by karenmcc » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:52 am

Thanks Dave,

You learn something new every day!

While I'm on the subject of Scottish terms I don't understand, my Grandfather, John, was known as Jock. Is this like a nick name for John or is it just used for Scottish men in general and how did it originate?

Karen McCubbin

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:18 am

Jock, by its proper meaning is a Scots form of John, but is often used outside of Scotland to refer to Scots in general, often derogatively (in cockney rhyming slang - sweaty socks = Jocks = scots people).

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

karenmcc

Post by karenmcc » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:43 am

I had my suspicions that it meant something not nice, but wondered why everyone, including my Grandmother called him by that name.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Karen McCubbin

mesklin

Jock

Post by mesklin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:45 am

Karen

My father, John, and my edest brother, also John, were variously known as Jock, Jeck, Jeke, Jackie but only rarely as John.

Dave

ps John F. Kennedy was often referred to as 'Jack'

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:47 am

I know several Johns who are affectionately known as Jack or Jock.

In fact the family across from me are all called something begining with 'J'

John , James, John and Jack. 'Faither John' is often known around here as Jock
Wilma

karenmcc

Post by karenmcc » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:02 pm

My middle son, Josh, who is three, has trouble saying his sh sounds and says his own name as Jock. My youngest sons name is Zac, so often when I call out for one of them, I get the two names mixed up together and end up calling out Jock. Josh also has my grandfathers green eyes, and the nick name is starting to stick and wanted to make sure I wasn't calling him anything awful. (I also sometimes come out with Zock, but I don't think that one will stick)

Karen McCubbin