Have birth record & death record but not the marriage...

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Have birth record & death record but not the marriage...

Post by Dennis » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:59 am

Hello. I have a relation who lived from 1886-1938 the death rec on SP has him as having been married and gives his widow's name. Since SP has no marriage rec then I have to guess that the marriage took place sometime between 1929-1938. What options do I have for finding out about the marriage?

dennis

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:16 am

Hi Dennis

Marriage records as well as Birth and Death exist at New Register House in Edinburgh right up to the present day. For people like us who live on this side of the pond there are 3 options I'm aware of....
1. Find SKS (some kind soul) who is going to New Register House and will do a lookup for you.... although this method could be complicated by the fact your request requires some searching.
2. Plan your next overseas vacation in Edinburgh and do some research for yourself.
3. Enlist the services of a paid professional researcher located in or near Edinburgh.

Hope this helps
Jean

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:44 am

Thank you Jean :wink:

With regards to his death July 5.1938; the death rec shows on the far left 'See Reg of Cor Entries Vol2 P176 5 AUG 1938' . Is that something I should be enquiring about? He had been pulled out of the Clyde near the Albert Bridge around 1am.

dennis

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:10 am

Hi again Dennis

The notation at the far left is from a "Register of Corrected Entries". These are not available online yet but are promised to be on SP later in 2005. I understand the information can vary depending on the cause of death and the subsequent inquisition into it. In my own research I had a drowning death in 1891and the RCE contained info on what time the deceased was last seen alive (but not by whom!) and the place of burial and undertakers name in addition to other info I already knew from the DC. If you're trying to uncover every little piece of evidence about an ancestor you'll probably want to see what this contains....and if you can't wait out the year to be able to search for it yourself....well....it's back to the 3 options I listed above for you :wink:

Jean

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:48 am

Jean. Thank you again 8) I can certainly wait out the year :)

dennis