TWO DEATH REGISTRATIONS.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

AnnetteR

TWO DEATH REGISTRATIONS.....

Post by AnnetteR » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:20 pm

Hi all

I came across 2 Death Certificates for my GGG Aunt Isabella Peaston in 1859. The first was registered by an attendant at the Royal Edinburgh Asylum where she died and the second was registered by her brother the following day. All the details are the same except for the informant. Is there any reason why her death would be registered twice?

Annette
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

Montrose Budie

Re: TWO DEATH REGISTRATIONS

Post by Montrose Budie » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:20 am

AnnetteR wrote:Hi all

I came across 2 Death Certificates for my GGG Aunt Isabella Peaston in 1859. The first was registered by an attendant at the Royal Edinburgh Asylum where she died and the second was registered by her brother the following day. All the details are the same except for the informant. Is there any reason why her death would be registered twice?

Annette
Most probably a very simple one. Her brother wasn't aware of the registration made by the attendant, and once in the register, it had to stay there.

Was it the same registration district, and same registrar or assistant registrar?

Davie

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:23 pm

Hi Davie

Yes it was the same district and the same Registrar, that's what made me wonder.

Thanks for your help

Take care

Annette
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:15 pm

AnnetteR wrote:Hi Davie

Yes it was the same district and the same Registrar, that's what made me wonder.

Thanks for your help

Take care

Annette
Hmmmm...... You'ld have thought that he'd react "Hing oan a meenut ..."when he heard the name, but maybe he had started writing in the register........... I'd have thought that it would be possible to delete the entry up to that point, but maybe the easy way out was to continue, as a deletion would have involved complicated procedures. Even so I'd have thought the peripatetic superintending register who inspected the registers before one copy went off to Embro wouldn't have been impressed ......

Davie