Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

jonami

confused.....

Post by jonami » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:59 pm

hi i have a copy of a marriage from the pro gov
at the top of page it say's 1890 marriage in the district of st rollox lanark
item 236

then it say's on the 18th day of july 1880 at st mungoes chapel glasgow.
then the names of people attending marriage
then at the bottom of page it say's 1890 july 21st at glasgow
i am cofused with the 1880 and 1890 dates. all the info i have found ties in with 1880 but not 1890 can anyone explain why there are 10 years between dates
any help appreciated
thanks jonami

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:55 am

I can only think that the marriage was reported very late. Statutory records are indexed by year, districts, books and page numbers. So, for example, a baby born on the 28th December 1877 will probably be registed (therefor found) in the 1878 registration book. The book will give the 1877 birth date but it's the Registration code that is used for indexing.

In your case the couple (Priest or Minister) seem to have forgotten to report the marriage. They would probably have been fined, but regardless, the wedding WAS reported in 1890 so that's where you'll find it.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:16 am

Do you have the birth certificates of children born to this couple? The parents' marriage date and place should be given on the birth certificates to give you confirmation of the marriage date.

Is there any possibility of a clerical error, or very bad handwriting? Normally marriages are registered within 2 or 3 days of the marriage. The one you list is 10 years and 3 days. Could it be that the marriage took place in 1890, and the 1880 is a mistake?

With a marriage, the couple complete the marriage schedule at the wedding and take the schedule to the registrar's office. It is then copied into the Registration book by a member of staff at the Registrar's office, and signed by the Registrar or (more commonly) Assistant Registrar. That is why you never see the signatures of the couple or their witnesses on a marriage certificate. It is always a transcription. That transcribing gives room for errors to be made occasionally.

What were the couple's names? Can you upload a copy of the certificate to the ScotlandsPeople gallery for us to see?

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

jonami

thanks

Post by jonami » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:55 am

hi
thanks to all who replied to my inquiry about confused dates
appreciated thanks again
jonami