Lost Laird.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:22 pm

Jean. The way I arrived at the John Laird was by the following. I was tracking from my gamma's dad's side: her GF was William Airth who married Elizabeth Laird in 1837; Elizabeth's 1910 dc lists her parents as Alexander Laird & Margaret Gibson; IGI search using those parents returns numerous children including John.

dennis

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:25 pm

Hi Dennis.....and now you can see that the John LAIRD linen merchant married to Mary Milne can't be yours. However the John LAIRD stone quarrier married to Ann Bush is!! So the DC in 1894 is the one whose parents were Alexander LAIRD and Margaret GIBSON and is the right one. This John and family appear in 1881 as:
Dwelling: Carsebarracks
Census Place: Forfar, Forfar, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203492 GRO Ref Volume 288 EnumDist 25 Page 2
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
John LAIRD M 62 M Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Railway Labourer
Ann LAIRD M 61 F Menmuir, Forfar, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Elizabeth LAIRD U 30 F Forfar, Forfar, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Steam Loom Weaver
William LAIRD U 18 M Forfar, Forfar, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Pupil Teacher

Hope this helps.....and hope you didn't spend too many hours looking in the wrong branch :cry:

Best wishes!
Jean

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:30 pm

Jean. The marriage of John & Ann was in 1859 has their ages as 36 & 41 respectively; so they look to have been born in 1823 and 1818 or so. The 1881 census has john & ann 1 year apart in age, as well as Elizabeth must have been from Ann's 1st marriage to somebody unknown on her mc to John.

dennis

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:27 pm

Hi Dennis

Census ages can be a nuisance and sometimes a real impediment to estimating accurate birth years. From what you say it does appear that Ann may have been married or at least had Elizabeth prior to her marriage to John. I noticed that they also had a daughter Ann born 1 October 1859. How does this tie in with the date of marriage? May be possible that John is the true father of Elizabeth but they put off tying the knot for several years???? Have you been able to locate them in the 1871 census yet? Also when they become available a look into the 1851 and 1861 census may shed further light on your research. You also didn't mention Ann's death....that might also have some clues if the informant got things right.

Best wishes!
Jean

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:23 pm

Dennis wrote:Jean. The way I arrived at the John Laird was by the following. I was tracking from my gamma's dad's side: her GF was William Airth who married Elizabeth Laird in 1837; Elizabeth's 1910 dc lists her parents as Alexander Laird & Margaret Gibson; IGI search using those parents returns numerous children including John.

dennis
Hello Dennis and Jean,

I've kind of lost the thread of this thread :roll: but have you seen what I am sure are both these families on the 1841 census? They are within 2 pages of each other. There is also an Ann Bush living in Forfar.

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Regards,
Annette M

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:05 pm

JustJean wrote:Hi Dennis

Census ages can be a nuisance and sometimes a real impediment to estimating accurate birth years. From what you say it does appear that Ann may have been married or at least had Elizabeth prior to her marriage to John. I noticed that they also had a daughter Ann born 1 October 1859. How does this tie in with the date of marriage? May be possible that John is the true father of Elizabeth but they put off tying the knot for several years???? Have you been able to locate them in the 1871 census yet? Also when they become available a look into the 1851 and 1861 census may shed further light on your research. You also didn't mention Ann's death....that might also have some clues if the informant got things right.

Best wishes!
Jean
Greetings Jean. Yes Ann arrived some 5 months after the marriage May 27, 1859. They are there in the 1871 census, which is barely legible; John is 48 and Ann looks to be 56 (?) Elizabeth is 21, Ann is 11 and William is 9.
Haven't found Ann's DC yet.

dennis