cant get it.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

joyce

cant get it.....

Post by joyce » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:49 pm

have just tried to get amarriage cert of my g.g. grandparents,have put there names in
andrew bennett morgan
lousia harriet field,married 5 july 1868
birmingham,but it keeps asking for the volume number and page number and i dont no what to do.also the same with my g.g.g. parents andrew bennett morgan to either ann or jane marshall,midlothian now i think that was 1839,but dont have the vol or page numbers,sorry to ask but can anyone help me out,thank you joyce
looking for my ancestors from as far back as i can get names
morgan.marshall.williamson.cowan

Alison Plenderleith

Post by Alison Plenderleith » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:04 pm

Hello Joyce,

I'm afraid I don't know how you go about getting an English certificate but from the LDS site the marriage of Andrew Bennett Morgan to Jane Marshall was 8th April 1835 in South Leith Midlothian. As this was an extract and not a submission you will be able to find this on the Scotlands People site and order it online. www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

All the Best,

Alison

joyce

thank you

Post by joyce » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:24 pm

hi alison
will do that thank you .joyce

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:31 pm

Hi joyce

I think this is the correct info for the 1868 marriage in England. The index has Louisa Harriet FIELD and Andrew MORGAN both marrying in the Sept quarter of 1868 in the District of Aston, County of Warwickshire. The Volume is 6d and the Page is 283.

Good luck
Jean

joyce

alison

Post by joyce » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:34 pm

i have andrews fathers name as its the same as his,but can you help with janes mother or fathers name,did she come from leith midlothian,thank you joyce

joyce

thanks

Post by joyce » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:41 pm

hi jean thank you for your help.regards joyce

Alison Plenderleith

Post by Alison Plenderleith » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:26 pm

Hello Joyce,

I don't know that I'm the best one to help you with this as I'm definitely not an expert.

As far as I am aware if you order an extract for the banns/marriage from the OPRs from Scotlands People it may or may not give you the brides fathers name. Some only give the name of the couple.
If they died in Scotland after 1855 you'll be able to get the parents names from the death certs. (Hopefully the person registering the death knew them).

I see from the IGI they had four children between 1839-1844 with the mother's name as Ann. I wondered why you had given a choice between Ann and Jane!

Good Luck with your searching,

Alison

sporran

Re: English certificates

Post by sporran » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:36 pm

Hello Joyce,

although you can order certificates directly from the register office, they usually take only cash or UK cheques. You will probably find it more convenient to pay by credit or debit card by using the central ONS (Office of National Statistics) site at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/resea ... tificates/ . The 1837online site acts as an agent for purchase of certificates through ONS. Please note that you can set conditions, such as the name of the father of groom or bride (or both). If the condition is not met, you may have to pay a search fee that is less than the certificate costs. I find applying to local register offices much better, especially going in person, since they will often try to help by searching a few years either side of your date to find a match, with nothing to pay if unsuccessful. But from abroad, you have little choice.

Regards,

John