Birth record for c.1814.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Brulin

Birth record for c.1814.....

Post by Brulin » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:51 pm

Hi
Looking to trace g.g. grandfather Adam Johnson Bowhill. 1891 census England states he was born in Scotland but doesnt say where. His marriage certificate says his father was Thomas Bowhill - Mariner. Ive looked on Scotlandspeople but no record of Adam Bowhill (Johnson was his middle name). Any suggestions what I could try next or have I reached a dead end? Thanks

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:06 am

Brulin.
Have you tried a search on genesreunited? I searched on there and found an Adam John Bowhill born in Sunderland in 1813; another of the same name 1814-1875.

There was also a Thomas Bowhill born in 1780, where is unknown.

You may want to contact the people who added those names.

dennis

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:03 am

Hi Brulin,

Welcome to TalkingScot.

What age did he give in the 1891 census? Where was he in 1891? Did he have his wife and any children with him in the household on that census (if so, can you give names and ages)?

A marriage that should be him is shown in the online IGI.
  • ADAM JOHNSON BOWHILL / MARY ANN BEATY
    Marriage: 04 FEB 1838 Sunderland, Durham, England
Have you found any sign of him on ay other censuses? I took a look at the 1881 census national index (on CD-ROM) but there was ho Adam Bowhill to be found. Other similar surnames that showed up were Bole and Bowel. Still no Adam.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:51 am

Hi Brulin , Dennis, Andrew

Brulin did you mean you found him on the 1871 census - or maybe there are 2 AJBs ...
There is a death on FreeBMD Quarter toMar 1875
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOWHILL Adam Johnson 61 Sunderland 10a 422

and also on the LDS 1881 , there appears to be the widow of the man found by Andrew :

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
William J. BOWHILL Head M Male 34 Sunderland, Durham, England Ship Smith
William J. BOWHILL Son Male 7 Sunderland, Durham, England Scholar
Mary A. BOWHILL Mother W Female 66 Sunderland, Durham, England
Charles L. BOWHILL Brother U Male 28 Sunderland, Durham, England Certifd Elementary Teacher
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 12 Garden Place
Census Place Bishopwearmouth, Durham, England
Family History Library Film 1342199
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 4986 / 156
Page Number 98
Assuming this is your family
Maybe just maybe an earlier census might give some refinement on the p.o.b. or even catch an elderly parent nearby.

But have you seen on the Genuki website the marriage of Thomas Bowhill and Sarah Johnson 23 Oct 1809 , Monkwearmouth
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/Transcriptio ... M1800.html.
Transcription by George Bell.
I don't know if it could be proven that these are your people - Would the parish record give occupation ? ( I've no experience with English OPRs)

the very best of luck...

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

Brulin

Birth record for c.1814

Post by Brulin » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:15 pm

Many thanks for your replies. The information on Genes Reunited comes from me. Adam Bowhill was married 1838 to Mary Ann Beaty in Sunderland, Durham. I have quite a few details re his marriage and death from 1838 onwards but my problem is trying to trace ancestors back to Scotland before 1838.

The 1891 England census shows him to be aged 57 and that he was born in Scotland - his Father's name was Thomas Bowhill.

He doesn't say where in Scotland he was born. Im not sure where I can go from here and I can't understand why his name doesnt appear on the parish records or statutory records on Scotlandspeople website unless maybe his birth wasnt registered. Thank you again for your messages - any help anyone can give will be so much appreciated. Ive found a cousin in Australia who also has Adam Bowhill as the same g.g. grandfather so we are both desperate to trace the line further back if possible. Linda

Brulin

Birth record for c.1814

Post by Brulin » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:27 pm

Hi

Ive just seen the message about the marriage of Thomas Bowhill to Sarah Johnson in 1809 (I didnt scroll down enough) and I think that might be a breakthrough.

All I know is that my g.g. grandfather's name is Adam Johnson Bowhill aged 57 on 1891 England census born in Scotland and that he died in 1875 in Sunderland. He was married in Sunderland, Durham 1838 to Mary Ann Beaty and had 2 sons that I know of - William Johnson Bowhill and Charles Lamb Bowhill.

William Johnson Bowhill was my g. grandfather and he had a son also called William Johnson Bowhill who was my grandfather. They all lived in the Monkwearmouth area of Sunderland.

I will certainly do some more research on the marriage of Thomas Bowhill to Sarah Johnson - again many many thanks for all your helpful replies.
Linda