Too Many MCKINNON Records!.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

scotincanada

Too Many MCKINNON Records!.....

Post by scotincanada » Wed May 04, 2005 6:37 pm

Hi,

I have too many MCKINNON possibilities, among death records, at scotlandspeople to narrow my search down to a manageable (& affordable!) few. I am handicapped too by the fact that I have no idea where they were living at the time of their deaths (or any other time after 1847). I have credits purchased at SP & am ready to buy the regs., but I'm faced with too many choices. Any hints as to how to narrow my search down?

Archibald MCKINNON (b. abt. 1810) & Catherine MCARTHUR (b. abt. 1813) married in 1831, I believe in Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon, Argyll. Archibald was the s/o Neil MCKINNON & Margaret MCARTHUR. Catherine was the d/o Arcibald MCARTHUR & Catherine MCLEAN.

I'm looking for deaths for Archibald MCKINNON & Catherine MCARTHUR. They may have left the area. Their daughter, Catherine MCKINNON, married James MCDOUGALL in 1866 & the marriage reg. does not say "deceased" for her parents then. But by 1883, when Neil married Ann PATTERSON, they were given as "deceased".

Thank you so much!

Mary
in Canada :roll:

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed May 04, 2005 6:55 pm

Add a few more years on. Doing a parent search on the IGI gives 7 children, all baptized in Iona. (The eldest was also baptized in Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon). Allan (1832), John (1835), Rory (1837), Catherine (1839), Mary (1842), Hugh (1844), Thomas (1848) and Margaret (29-Mar-1851). The 1851 census (30th-31st March) for Iona should show most of the above, assuming they had not left home or died young. You should be able to order the microfilm into your nearest LDS Family History Centre. Or you wait until the 1851 census comes online (should be some time later this year). An eighth child, included above, Catherine doesn't show up on the parent search as the surname is spelled as McKinon.

Where was daughter Catherine's home address at the time of her marriage (was it Iona?)? If she was in Iona, then there's a fair chance, the family should be there on the 1861 census.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

kenjo

Post by kenjo » Mon May 09, 2005 8:16 am

Hi ,
You should try for the wife first, they are cross referenced.Try the least common sur name, with Cath* and Kat*, McArthur, with soundex. to cover Mac Mc, and anything else possible, up to the 1883 year, buy all the indexes, then you can be cunning and ask the question, is there a Cathrine McKinnon, the same age and year dying in the same place you must match everything, the same except the surname and if it says yes, take a note of it. and go through the rest, ticking matches and crossing no match. go down the list, or .......this costs a bit more but saves tons of time buy the first like I said, them buy the other surname, so if you have 60 catherine mc kinnons, and 100 catherine Mcarthurs, buy them all, and then match the index nos. and then you should find here.
remember to use *, and ? all the time, and try not to give an age range, you could miss her, if the age is -.
good luck.
kenjo

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon May 09, 2005 8:27 am

kenjo wrote:Hi ,
You should try for the wife first, they are cross referenced.Try the least common sur name, with Cath* and Kat*, McArthur, with soundex. to cover Mac Mc, and anything else possible, up to the 1883 year, buy all the indexes, then you can be cunning and ask the question, is there a Cathrine McKinnon, the same age and year dying in the same place you must match everything, the same except the surname and if it says yes, take a note of it. and go through the rest, ticking matches and crossing no match. go down the list, or .......this costs a bit more but saves tons of time buy the first like I said, them buy the other surname, so if you have 60 catherine mc kinnons, and 100 catherine Mcarthurs, buy them all, and then match the index nos. and then you should find here.
remember to use *, and ? all the time, and try not to give an age range, you could miss her, if the age is -.
good luck.
kenjo
In the near future, hopefully in a few weeks, on the relaunched and upgraded site, it will be possible to do a cross check surname search in the statutory death index, i.e. as long as the info was provided by the informant and then correctly indexed it will be possible to search for the death of a married woman by entering both her married and maiden surnames, but watch out, there are lots of "traps" including a woman remarrying and the informant not knowing her first married name........

Davie