How best to record the results of divorces?.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

How best to record the results of divorces?.....

Post by Dennis » Sat May 14, 2005 7:43 pm

Have a divorce; with the following:
couple married
had x children
couple divorced
wife took all children
Husband remarried and had more children
wife remarried

All of the above people are likely still alive.

soccerchick

Post by soccerchick » Mon May 16, 2005 10:56 am

Hello Dennis,

Are you using a genealogy program? Many will have a feature that allows you to link the children to multiple sets of parents with their relation to each parent. I usually have the original parents/marriage set as the preferred marriage with their children listed. If either parent remarries and has additional children, I add the children from the 1st marriage to the new parent (mother/father) and put that relation as a step-child. Any children born of the 2nd marriage would then be added with their relation being 'natural', 'legal', or whatever definition is used to define a child born of that marriage.

Hope this helps.

Happy Hunting.....

Kelly
Researching: Anderson, Borthwick, Cooper, Dalgleish, Cousin(s), McMurtrie, Morrison (Mathieson), Robertson (Robinson), Wingate, Wyllie

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Tue May 17, 2005 4:13 am

Soccerchick.

I'm using the ol genesreunited to maintain and update my tree and that doesn't, as far as I can tell, permit children to be connected to more than 1 parent. I should probably spring the big $$ for a superduper genealogy program, but heh I'm frugal :lol: and its simple :?

dennis

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue May 17, 2005 7:14 am

Genesreunited have been promising multiple marriages for awhile but it seems like they've not managed.

There are a number of very powerful FREE genealogy programs available not least of which is Personal Ancestral File 5.2 that can be downloaded at Family Search. It'll do everything you need including print outs of books and charts.

The PAF companion currently at version 5.1.5 expands the print out possibilities to , fan charts, butterfly of bow tie charts kinship details etc.

Well worth the money!!!!!
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

soccerchick

Post by soccerchick » Tue May 17, 2005 10:28 am

Andy is quite right. Many of the better programs that are out there will have a web site that will let you download trial versions of their software. That way you can get a better feel of the different options each offer and how user-friendly they may be. They will also have regular updates that can be downloaded for free, the only additional cost would be if a newer version of the whole software package was released.

Dennis says he may be frugal but just remember, you get what you pay for....
Researching: Anderson, Borthwick, Cooper, Dalgleish, Cousin(s), McMurtrie, Morrison (Mathieson), Robertson (Robinson), Wingate, Wyllie