Are they the same?.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

BobG

Are they the same?.....

Post by BobG » Sun May 15, 2005 6:53 pm

To our mentors.

I have a death certificate that lists the informant’s relationship to the deceased as “nephew”. In addition, the 1851 census lists the relationship between these two particular persons as “head of household” and “nephew”. Additional research indicates that the informant was actually a grandnephew of the “head of household”/deceased. My question is, was it common in the 1800’s to make no “generational” distinction between a grandnephew and a nephew?

BobG
Researching Grigor/Roy/Symon in Morayshire & Banffshire. Mearns/Roy/Low in Insch & Auchterless, Aberdeenshire.

DavidWW

Re: Are they the same?

Post by DavidWW » Sun May 15, 2005 6:55 pm

BobG wrote:To our mentors.

I have a death certificate that lists the informant’s relationship to the deceased as “nephew”. In addition, the 1851 census lists the relationship between these two particular persons as “head of household” and “nephew”. Additional research indicates that the informant was actually a grandnephew of the “head of household”/deceased. My question is, was it common in the 1800’s to make no “generational” distinction between a grandnephew and a nephew?

BobG
Bob

Not so much not making a distinction, just that use of terms such as nephew and others such as step-son, son-in-law, was much looser than in today's world; in general people weren't that bothered !!

Davie

BobG

Post by BobG » Sun May 15, 2005 8:21 pm

Davie,

I didn't think they would make such a distinction. They weren't keeping genealogical records were they?

Thanks for the input Davie.
BobG
Researching Grigor/Roy/Symon in Morayshire & Banffshire. Mearns/Roy/Low in Insch & Auchterless, Aberdeenshire.