Wall at parents of William Eadie.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Wall at parents of William Eadie.....

Post by Dennis » Sun May 22, 2005 9:40 pm

Hello. I have a William Eadie dob c1878 dod 1940. In 1898 he married Agnes Cameron. On the MC to Agnes his dad is listed as William Eadie mom is listed as Elizabeth Donaldson ( deceased); They are also listed on his DC. I have searched high & low to find his parents but nothing :? They must be somewhere.

dennis

Jack

Re: Wall at parents of William Eadie

Post by Jack » Mon May 23, 2005 7:33 am

Hi Dennis,

Maybe finding the family in the 1881 census would help with William's birthplace - his BC should give his parents' marriage date & place.
What was father William's occupation on the 1898 MC?
Do you know of any siblings?

Jack

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon May 23, 2005 12:17 pm

Firstly, have a look in the 1901 census on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk , limiting the search to a suitable age range, and "Glasgow City".

You should soon find him, the clues being his wife's name and occupation. To be 100% sure that this is him, you should then look at birth record of the son .......

That gives you a place of birth, but there's no match anywhere.

In the 1891 census there is a 12 year William, born Glasgow, father William, and a carter, but his wife is Margaret, - but if you dig into this situation, you will find that William EDIE, carter, and widower, married Margaret BROWN in 1890, so obviously this young William's mother probably wasn't Margaret.

All speculation, and could be pure coincidence................

Davie

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon May 23, 2005 12:30 pm

There is only one William Eadie in 1891 who is a Carter, but the wife was a Margaret. They did have a son called William around the right time.

However, a son, Edward, aged 3 is BEFORE William on the census. This flags up a possible second marriage.

At the house in 1891 there is also a visitor called BROWN.

There is no birth of an Edward Eadie but there is for an Edward Brown.

There is also an 1890 Marriage for widower William Eadie to Margaret Brown. So perhaps he got a bit mixed up with the Mother's given name.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon May 23, 2005 12:31 pm

Working at the same time again, glad to see the info tallies.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon May 23, 2005 2:26 pm

Dennis

Later...........

The 1901 census entry for Wullie and Aggie is the correct one, - the son's name is James, - it's a bit unclear on the census.

There is no marriage in Scotland between an *DIE and a DONALDSON that that matches...............

There is an outside possibility between a William EADDIE and a Jane DONALDSON in 1876 in Fife, but the parents' names are different from those on the 1890 marriage register entry, and the age at marriage in 1876 of 16 would have been quite unusual.

Probability...........

William EADIE is born ca. 1860 to James EADIE, Carter (it obviously runs in the family :wink: ), and Mary Ann EADIE MS MALCOLMSON, - details from the 1890 marriage register entry, except, - slight problem :cry: , - there isn't anywhere a record of such a birth or marriage (is it pure coincidence that there is a timeous birth of a William Adie MALCOLMSON in 1863 in Glasgow to John MALCOLMSON and Agnes MALCOLMSON MS "DINWOODIE ADIE" - that's what it says on the birth register entry.........)

William b ca. 1860 fathers William ca. 1878 with Eli[z/s]abeth DAVIDSON, i.e. the birth is illegitimate............

Eli[z/s]abeth DAVIDSON subsequently dies, and William senior "takes up" with Margaret BROWN, fathers wee Edward ca. 1888 before "making an honest woman" of Margaret in 1890............. (you might thinks that "Edward" was an uncommon name in Scotland, but there's an awfie lot of Edward BROWNs in Glasgow City and Lanarkshire around the right time :!: :!: )

Problems? No obvious match for the death of an Eli[z/s]abeth DAVIDSON and proving that the 1891 census carter is the same person..............

Sooooo...... lots of luvverly castles in the air, and very tempting links, but no certainties.........

Davie

PS I'm far from convinced that all possible variants of EADIE have been covered, - it's not an easy name to handle with wildcards, as too few characters will result in the scotlandspeople.gov.uk search engine producing an erroneous result.................
dww

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon May 23, 2005 4:01 pm

Hi all,

There are these from the IGI & LDS census.
--
JAMES ADDIS
MARY ANN MALCOLMSON
Marriage: 20 JUN 1847 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

WILLIAM ADDES
Birth: 28 APR 1859 High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Father: JAMES ADDES
Mother: MARION MALCOLMSON
--
1881 Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Dwelling: 4 Wright Street
Source: FHL Film 0203646 GRO Ref Volume 644-5 EnumDist 30 Page 15
James ADDIES M 50 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Carter
May Ann ADDIES M 50 F Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Wife
William ADDIES U 23 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Carter
Peter MC KELVENIE U 64 M Ireland Rel: Boarder Occ: Carter
--
1881 Census Place: Barony, Lanark, Scotland
Dwelling: 107 Maitland St
Source: FHL Film 0203658 GRO Ref Volume 644-8 EnumDist 65 Page 13
Elizabeth DONALDSON U 26 F Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Cleanor Of Shops
William DONALDSON 3 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son
--
A possible - if the right Elizabeth in 1881.

ELIZABETH DONALDSON
Birth: 04 MAR 1856 High Church, Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland
Father: JAMES DONALDSON
Mother: JANE DUNBAR
--
Jack

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon May 23, 2005 9:52 pm

Jack wrote:Hi all,

There are these from the IGI & LDS census.
--
JAMES ADDIS
MARY ANN MALCOLMSON
Marriage: 20 JUN 1847 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

WILLIAM ADDES
Birth: 28 APR 1859 High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Father: JAMES ADDES
Mother: MARION MALCOLMSON
--
1881 Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Dwelling: 4 Wright Street
Source: FHL Film 0203646 GRO Ref Volume 644-5 EnumDist 30 Page 15
James ADDIES M 50 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Carter
May Ann ADDIES M 50 F Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Wife
William ADDIES U 23 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Carter
Peter MC KELVENIE U 64 M Ireland Rel: Boarder Occ: Carter
--
1881 Census Place: Barony, Lanark, Scotland
Dwelling: 107 Maitland St
Source: FHL Film 0203658 GRO Ref Volume 644-8 EnumDist 65 Page 13
Elizabeth DONALDSON U 26 F Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Cleanor Of Shops
William DONALDSON 3 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son
--
A possible - if the right Elizabeth in 1881.

ELIZABETH DONALDSON
Birth: 04 MAR 1856 High Church, Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland
Father: JAMES DONALDSON
Mother: JANE DUNBAR
--
Jack
Jack

Brilliant =D> \:D/ =D>

As I said "PS I'm far from convinced that all possible variants of EADIE have been covered, - it's not an easy name to handle with wildcards, as too few characters will result in the scotlandspeople.gov.uk search engine producing an erroneous result................. "

QED :!: :!:

Which then leads to the marriage of William ADDYS and Elizabeth DONALDSON...........

QED indeed :!: :!:

If I'd been in at NRH I might have had a look for a marriage involving an Elizabeth DONALDSON, but never on line!!

And not an illegitimacy in sight :!:

Let that be the ultimate lesson in terms of alternative spellings and the manner in which even wildcards don't always help where short surnames are concerned. (Yes, in retrospect it's easy with hindsight to design a search to pick up these results, but hindsight, as always, is 20:20)

Davie

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue May 24, 2005 10:21 am

My Godfathers Jack, I thought I was fairly adept at massaging the censuses but that INSPIRED work takes the biscuit!!

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of looking for Addis.

Hats off mate very well done.

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue May 24, 2005 10:18 pm

Hi Davie & Andy,

Brilliant? Inspired? No me! It was yourselves that gave the clues - carter, Glasgow, and the Adie & Malcolmson names.

I just landed lucky when looking for them! Jack