Two extracted marriage records for the same people?.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Wendy

Two extracted marriage records for the same people?.....

Post by Wendy » Mon May 30, 2005 9:28 pm

Hello...
Well have come across 2 extracted marriage records for the same people but in 2 different locations...could one be from the brides hometown and one for the groom????Both dates are exactly the same!!!!!!

I have JOHN BELL AND JANET ORKNEY
04 October 1853, KINGARTH, BUTE, Scotland

04 October 1853, GLASGOW, LANARK, Scotland

Not knowing either bride or grooms parents... or birthdates of either..but I have the children of this couple.............any ideas

Wendy
Searching for :
Anderson, Dunlop, Gibson, Moreland, Paterson,

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon May 30, 2005 9:41 pm

Hi. The banns could have been read in both places if the groom came from one and the bride from the other.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Mon May 30, 2005 9:46 pm

Thank you Anne...I was thinking along those lines ...just wanted some clarification on this...Thanks again

Wendy
Searching for :

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon May 30, 2005 11:27 pm

On ScotlandsPeople there's a death of a Janet Orkney in Tradeston, Glasgow in 1900, at age 73. This matches with two birth possibilities in the IGI, both in Rothesay, Bute(shire) - 02 Aug 1824 and 02 Jul 1826. The parents are (1824) Robert Orkney and Janet McFie and (1826) are Thomas Orkney and Mary McFie. I would expect that these two are most likely cousins.

If you choose to look at that death certificate on ScotlandsPeople, hopefully you will find it to be one of these two - and hopefully the wife of John Bell. Hence you should be able to go back that generation and it is well possible that their parents survived past 1855, and that their death certificates can take you back a generation further.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

Wendy

Many Thanks Andrew

Post by Wendy » Tue May 31, 2005 1:17 am

Thank you Andrew...now have some more $$ to spend on Scotlandpeople site...

Thank you for taking the time to do a little searching for me..very much appreciated
All the best
Wendy
Searching for :

nelmit

Janet Orkney

Post by nelmit » Tue May 31, 2005 5:04 pm

Here they are in 1841 from the Freecen Site:

Piece: SCT1841/555 Place: Kingarth-Bute Enumeration District: 1
Civil Parish: Kingarth Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 1 Page: 10
Address: Village Of Kilchattan Bay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MCFEE James M 67 Church Officer Bute
MCFEE Janet F 68 Bute
MCFEE Robert M 35 Mason Bute
MCFEE Thomas M 25 Shoemaker Bute
ORKNEY Janet F 15 Bute
ORKNEY Margaret F 12 Bute

Piece: SCT1841/558 Place: Rothesay & Nth Bute-Bute Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Rothesay Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 2 Page: 8
Address: Princes Street

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
ORKNEY Robert M 50 Mason Outside Census County (1841)
ORKNEY Janet F 40 Bute
ORKNEY James M 20 Bute
ORKNEY Janet F 15 Bute
ORKNEY John M 12 Bute
ORKNEY Thomas M 8 Bute
ORKNEY William M 4 Bute

Looks as though the first one is yours as she lives in Kingarth and along with Andrew's info you can now work out when she was born.

Regards
Annette M

I really have to say a huge thanks again to all the people who have worked so hard to set up the Freecen site!!!!!

Wendy

Death cert states WIDOW of John Bell

Post by Wendy » Tue May 31, 2005 6:58 pm

Hello,
just to update I have the death cert for Janet ,
as Andrew stated :
On ScotlandsPeople there's a death of a Janet Orkney in Tradeston, Glasgow in 1900, at age 73. This matches with two birth possibilities in the IGI, both in Rothesay, Bute(shire) - 02 Aug 1824 and 02 Jul 1826. The parents are (1824) Robert Orkney and Janet McFie and (1826) are Thomas Orkney and Mary McFie. I would expect that these two are most likely cousins.

If you choose to look at that death certificate on ScotlandsPeople, hopefully you will find it to be one of these two - and hopefully the wife of John Bell. Hence you should be able to go back that generation and it is well possible that their parents survived past 1855, and that their death certificates can take you back a generation further.
Well it was my Janet (Orkney) BELL died 18 July 1900, 5 Leslie Street, Glasgow...listed as Widow of John Bell spirit merchant...it gives her parents as :Thomas Orkney , mason (deceased) and Mary McFee (deceased) cause of death I believe says senility and the

informant was her daughter Mary Pollock ....

Annette: Thank you for the census info...

Will do some more searching to see what I can come up with...

Andrew and Annette
Many thanks again...

Wendy
Last edited by Wendy on Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Searching for :

Wendy

Found Death cert !!!!

Post by Wendy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:50 am

Hello...back again...

Have been searching the new Scotland People site and making they're coffers richers :wink: as we all are..so now have more details...FINALLY found John Bells' death record:

Died 23 February 1868..married to Janet Orkney..his parents are listed as Alexander Bell and Janet Jardine ..finally uncovered who one of John's girls was named after ..his mother.. his mother is listed as deceased and his father is still alive but have no idea what occupation it says

As a bonus it was his brother Robert Bell that was the informant, so I can add a brother too....

While trying to narrow down the death for John Bell...as there were so many , I looked for marriage records for some of the children and got
Margaret Orkney Bell married to John Scott Miller 7 November 1878 (John was listed as deceased)
Mary Jane Orkney Bell married to John Pollock 14 Oct 1892...John Pollock is listed as a steamship Engineer and living at 68 Pollock Street, Glasgow..his father is listed as Robert Pollock builder...so think there may be some more digging to do....a builder..living on Pollock Street...probably named after him...maybe!!!!!

Anyway have more certs to get ..just thought I would update you all as to my findings...
Thanks for everyone's help...

all the best
meanwhile back to searching :shock:
Wendy
Searching for :

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:00 am

Some more family...
Janet Orkney's father was Thomas as mentioned above and I have found his parents as well now...

Robert Orkney and Margaret Morrison which makes perfect sence as Thomas named one of his daughters'
Margaret Morrison Orkney

Thomas was 1 of eight children..which I also have names for...
I can't find Mary McFie (Thomas' wife) death...birth...parents...only the marriage date 21 Jun 1825 Rothesay, Bute, Scotland... :(
so I guess its back to the drawing board..

Wendy
Searching for :

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:35 am

Hi Wendy, have you done an IGI children search on Alexander Bell and Janet Jardin? Think you may be very happy with the results. All are submissions but seem to be based upon Baptism records so are more likely to be accurate. Also the transcriber seems to have copied the entries exactly so Alexr. is written as read rather than lenghtened to Alexander. This shows a certain amount of proficiency and, therefor, probable accuracy.

Margaret Orkney Bell's 1855 birth cert in Greenock should confirm John's place of birth, if it's Hoddam, Dumfries I reckon you've found the family.

I'll try to nip up to the Watt after work to have a look for the family in 1861.

Dumfries census for 1851 has the following:

Name: BELL , Alexander
Address: Ecclefechan Village, Kirksyke(829):
Parish: Hoddam
Relationship: head of household
Marital Status: married
Born: born Annan Dms
Household No: 1/87

Name: BELL , Francis
Relationship: son of Alexander Bell
Marital Status: unmarried
Born: born Hoddam Dms

Name: BELL , Jannet
Relationship: wife of Alexander Bell
Marital Status: married
Born: born Hoddam Dms
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.