Post by Dennis » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:33 am

IGI gives me:

Andrew Wright OCT 1829 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland

Parents: William Wright & Janet Ure married Aug 15, 1824
Larbert, Stirling

Andrew Marries Isabella Kemp July 15, 1848 in Methven, Perth

Andrew, like his dad, is a shoemaker.

From SP I get the following:

In 1904 Isabella ups & dies ( she's a widow at this time ).

I look for Andrew's death, sometime between the birth of the last child Robert 1862 and 1904 when Isabella died.

I find an Andrew, as was his dad, is a shoemaker. who was married to Isabella Kemp, he died in 1895 but his parents are not those listed above.

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:58 am

Think you may have the wrong birth for Andrew. The 1881 census says he was born in Perth about 1822:

Dwelling: Main Street
Census Place: Methven, Perth, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203509 GRO Ref Volume 380 EnumDist 2 Page 6
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Andrew WRIGHT M 59 M Methven, Perth, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Bootmaker
Isabella WRIGHT M 53 F Fowls Wester, Perth, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Occ: Bootmaker Wife
Hellen WRIGHT U 32 F Methven, Perth, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Dressmaker
Annie A. WRIGHT U 24 F Methven, Perth, Scotland
Robert WRIGHT U 19 M Methven, Perth, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Pupil Teacher

Prior censuses should confirm the age and place of Birth. With one daughter having the middle name Alexina and a son called Alexander. This given name is probably important. What names were given on the death cert? Have you checked for children to the named couple.

The Associate Session Congregation, Methven, have extant records from 1750ish. The fact that Isabella was heavily pregnant at the time of marriage may have got the parents a wee mention in the bad book.

On the face of it, just now, I'd revise your information for the death certificate parents especially since a few of William and Janet Ure's children seem to be still alive in St Ninian's in 1881 (but not, it seems, Andrew).
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi Andy.

LOL A wee mention in the bad book 8) Wee Helen arrives 5 months after the marriage :roll:

So I see that I may have made an error between the Stirling Wrights & the Perth Wrights. The DC for the Andrew, the shoemaker, that notes he was married to Isabella Kemp; shows his parents as James & Ann Wright (nee Stalker) who were married Feb. 3, 1811 in Methven. Therefore, I should replace the connection that came from the Wright/ Ure folk with that of the Wright/ Stalker line :oops:

The age you show fits as well as he was 72 when he died in 1895.

What I don't see is an IGI birth for Andrew from the Wright/ Stalker marriage. I see a Robert (1811), John(1814) and Margaret (1817).

dc for Andrew http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-165

So the Andrew whose dc has the Wright/ Stalker parents is the correct line then?
I tell you where I start to get confused; July 25, 1879 Henry Deas Lennox marries Helen Wright ( daughter of William wright & Susan( nee Allison )). William & Susan have 2 children William & Janet in Stirling, 2 more in Edinburgh and the remaining 4 children in Perth. Henry's wife Helen is from the Perth, Perth group. William & Susan were married in Stirling as well as having been born there.

The 1891 census has William & Susan still alive, he has apparently always been a coachman, and they are both still shown as being born in Stirling. I've got to get William's dc to try and close this thing ( but I can't find it ) :x

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:38 am

Whoa! wait a minute, from where did Helen Wright, daughter of William and Susan Alison come into the picture?

As far as I can see she isn't related to either William and Janet Ure OR James and Ann Stalker!

Certainly not from Andrew.

William Stalker who married Susan Alison is in the 1881 census:

Dwelling: 15 Moray Street
Census Place: Edinburgh St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0223997 GRO Ref Volume 685-2 EnumDist 44 Page 24
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
William WRIGHT M 49 M Torbren, Stirling, Scotland
Occ: Coachsmith
Susan WRIGHT M 52 F St Ninians, Stirling, Scotland
Agnes WRIGHT 15 F Perth, Perth, Scotland
James WRIGHT 13 M Edinburgh, Scotland
Occ: Message Boy

His place of birth does not tally with the Submitted Birth place in St. Ninian's, the only one of William and Janet Ure's children listed as a submission so I suppose the parents must have been named on their marriage entry to Susan in 1853 and that you have seen this. But why are you looking for William and Susan?

Your original post regarded Andrew Wright who married Isabella Kemp so I assumed that these were your direct lines. I can't see where a William and Susan Alison can climb into the tree.

Perhaps if you state exactly who you are looking for we can unravel these lines. I strongly suspect that you are working forward on one branch based upon Andrew Wright son of William and Janet Ure but may actually be looking for a completely different family.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:22 pm

Hi Andy. I was following the Lennox line from John Lennox 1822-1888 who married Elizabeth Drysdale 1829-1903, in April 23, 1847.John & Elizabeth had 5 children, one of whom was a Henry Deas Lennox 1856-1935 who married a Helen Wright 1857-1943, in July 25, 1879. This is the point where I start to look at Helen's line. Helen's parents are listed as William Wright & Susan Alison who married Jan. 2 1853 in St. Ninian's, Stirling. That seems to be the the point where the errors in lineage begin. I can't find William's parents and that is probably what I need to know to continue on this quest.

Looking at the 1871 census for William & Susan I get:
Address: 89 Balfour St. St. Cuthberts, Leith
William Head 40 Coachsmith born St. Ninian
Susan Wife 42 born St. Ninian
Janet Daug 18 Sewer born St. Ninian
William Son Coach Trimmer born Stirling
Helen Daug 13 Scholar born Perth
Susan Daug 9 Scholar born Perth
Agnes Daug 6 born Perth
James Son 3 born Edinburgh

dennis

Andy

Post by Andy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:38 am

Sorry, I'm really confused now.

The original post was about Andrew Wright OCT 1829 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland

Parents: William Wright & Janet Ure married Aug 15, 1824 Larbert, Stirling

You found a death cert for Perth naming different parents and I pointed out that the Andrew in St Ninians was unlikely to be the same one that married Isabella Kemp in Perth.

Andrew and Isabella did have a daughter Helen but not the one who married Henry Deas Lennox. Andrew and Isabella's Helen was unmarried in 1881.

I'm totally lost about where Lennox comes in other than a Lennox married a Helen Wright who is in no way, shape, or form immediately related to Andrew and Isabella Wright of the original post.

If you are 100% positive that you are related to Alexander Kemp Wright steer WELL clear of St. Ninians Wrights. Alexander was 100% of Perth stock.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:17 pm

Hi Andy.

The original intent was regarding Andrew Wright. However, when it looked like he may or may not have been a product the Wright/Ure couple then I got to wondering if Andrew was a potential error then perhaps William ( whom I had as a sibling of Andrew ) as he was link to the Lennox family ( he and Susan Alison produced Helen Wright, who married into a Lennox line). I had to see if William & Andrew were brothers and from what parents, the Wright/Ure or the Wright/Stalker.

I've just uploaded the mc for the Lennox/ Wright marriage and where I got William Wright & Susan Alison from, who married Jan 2, 1853 in Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland; I have yet to find a dc for William. I had then gone in search of parents for William Wright and the only ones I found from St. Ninians's were the William Wright/Janet Ure couple; which is where I got Andrew from.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-167

dennis

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:37 am

Hi again,

Who do you know 100% positively that you are related to?

If it's Alexander Kemp Wright then, so far, there is no immediate link to the St. Ninians Wrights.

If, however, you are related to Helen, daughter of William Wright and Susan Alison then, at present there is nothing to link to the Perthshire Andrew Wright. (apart from the fact that William and Susan lived in Perth for at least 8 years)

I think your confusion stems from trying to leap forward from assumed grandparents and their offspring trying then to link them up with people further along the line. This is a very difficult process and with a common name like Wright could be very costly.

If you are related to William and Susan and can't find a death cert for William, try to narrow down the dates. We know he was alive in 1881:

Dwelling: 15 Moray Street
Census Place: Edinburgh St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0223997 GRO Ref Volume 685-2 EnumDist 44 Page 24
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
William WRIGHT M 49 M Torbren, Stirling, Scotland
Occ: Coachsmith
Susan WRIGHT M 52 F St Ninians, Stirling, Scotland
Agnes WRIGHT 15 F Perth, Perth, Scotland
James WRIGHT 13 M Edinburgh, Scotland
Occ: Message Boy

So, perhaps if you found Susan's death you may be able to narrow down the years even further. Susan can now be searched for using Married and Maiden names.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:01 pm

Hi Andy.

What I'm 100% sure of is:

Henry Deas Lennox 1856-1935 married Helen Wright 1857-1943 on July 25, 1879 in St. Andrew, Edinburgh. Helen's parents are listed as William Wright, Blacksmith, Journeyman & Susan Alison. Both Helen & Henry are listed as aged 22. Henry was born in Fife July 29, 1856 and Helen was born July 7, 1857 in Perth. Helen died April 1, 1943 in Cathcart, Lanark/ Renfrew; and Henry died Nov. 18, 1935 at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
Both Henry's parents, John & Elizabeth ( nee Drysdale) and Helen's parents William & Susan ( nee Alison) are alive at the time of the marriage.

Note: both Henry's & Helen's deaths have RCEs.

The above is what I am 100% sure of.

On IGI the only marriage I can find between a William Wright and a Susan Alison is 02 JAN 1853 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland
I have not been able to find any dc with regards to William Wright.

dennis
Last edited by Dennis on Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:47 pm

Sorry for asking a dumb question, but what exactly are you referring to when you say “a wee mention in the bad book”? Are you talking about the Kirk Sessions for the Church of Scotland, and if so, was that only for members of the Church of Scotland or did it include other denominations such as Catholics…or did they have their own? :oops:

AnneH