The Birth House

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:53 pm

What about historical fiction does this have a place?
I have often better understood a period of history whilst reading a work of fiction in a historical vein.
For example I have just finished reading "The Birth House" by Ami McKay which is set in WW1 Novia Scotia.I have better come to understand the sexual politics of the time,women's position in society & the lack of control over their fertility that women had then.
Also as my Great-granny was offering similiar services at a similiar time but in Scotland this struck a cord with me.

It is fairly blunt with contempary ads in it & a lyrical feel to it too.I feel like I have come to know the people of Scouts Bay where it is set & the Author lives there in what was the "Birth House".
It also alludes to the Halifax explosion & the terrible loss of life.Something which I had no awareness of.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi Joette
What about historical fiction does this have a place?
I think so - works of fiction, if well written, can help give a good feel for a time or place. My favourite has to be "Joseph Knight" by James Robertson for a wonderfully vibrant and convincing evocation of Scotland and Edinburgh in the 1700s & 1800s, and which weaves fiction and fact in a very convincing manner. Here is one guy who really does his research!

Absolutley cracking novel. Probably one of the best I've ever read. Hats off to James Robertson!

Best wishes
Lesley

donna petrie

work of fiction

Post by donna petrie » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi; I too get a lot out of fiction. I have one called Jock Halliday- a Grassmarket Hero by Robina Hardy, published 1883. I always feel I am get into an era when reading something from that era as opposed to something written with hindsight or a collection of facts.
The social history of a country pleases me more that battles/business/ and the like. I want to get an idea of how my people may have felt/ entertained themselves/ lived day -to-day. This section of the forum is great but my husband says I will put us in the poorhouse with the list of books I want to buy!!! Donna

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:21 pm

Also as my Great-granny was offering similiar services at a similiar time but in Scotland this struck a cord with me
...................as this has with me. I am wondering if it was the same at my gt grandmothers house as some remember women going to there to give birth :-k

As for books yes i read one recently that i mentioned on another post about a young Irish girl who found work as a house maid in Edinburgh which made me wonder if that was how it must have been for my lot in service, cant remember what it was called and more recently Testament of Gideon Mack , as it says "Folklore and the supernatural meet the auld Kirk.." based in a place called Monimaskit............. who cares if its fiction, if its a great read you want to believe it :wink:
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:07 am

Hi Tracey
Testament of Gideon Mack
James Robertson again!! His earlier novel "The Fanatic" is well worth a read too as far as I'm concerned - being I think his first published novel I feel it is not quite as accomplished as his most recent,"Gideon Mack" or the earlier "Joseph Knight" but again, his evocation of Scotland, this time during the years of the Covenanters, makes it a very absorbing read.

Best wishes
Lesley

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:28 am

I never remember authors names, even though the book is staring me in the face right now :oops:
Its not a book i would normally go for but it was great, didnt want to put it down and will get round to reading his others.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings