Irish by John Burrowes

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

maceill

books

Post by maceill » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 pm

One of my favorite books is IRISH by JOHN BURROWES a must for those who had ancestors come over from Ireland to Scotland in the famine

maceill

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:45 am

Hi Maceill,

You've sparked my interest with your suggestion, so I ordered this book which is out of print here in the US. When i placed my order with Barnes & Noble, they only had one copy available in the warehouse, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll keep everyone posted. By the way, it wasn't available in my local library, otherwise being the good part Scot that I am, I would have borrowed a copy. :shock: :D

Regards
Marilyn

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:14 am

marilyn morning wrote:
which is out of print here in the US. I'll keep everyone posted. By the way, it wasn't available in my local library, otherwise being the good part Scot that I am, I would have borrowed a copy. :shock: :D

Regards
Marilyn
A girl after my own heart Marilyn.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:49 am

Maceill, many thanks for recommending this book. I picked my copy up at Barnes & Noble this afternoon and I haven't been able to put it down. I second Maceill's suggestion and highly recommend this as a must read! The first two chapters; Salvation of a Coffin Ship and The Irish Holocaust were difficult to get through because of the level of emotion involved. The fourth chapter, Poorest of the Poor will take you beyond a Poorhouse Application. I'm fascinated by this book's description of what life was like inside of a Poorhouse, namely "Barnhill."

Page 113, Chapter Four

Stone breaking was another of the Barnhill work tasks. Each inmate would be allocated sufficient quarry boulders which they were expected to break down with heavy sledgehammers into small pieces of stone of a type suitable for road-building.

The women likewise were set a variety of tasks, one of the most labour-intensive being in the laundry, where the prescribed work quota per women was washing 60 sheets or 50 shirts a day. If you couldn't complete the allocations, the management had a simply remedy-you got less for dinner.

Even though it was difficult for me to pay "List Price" for this book, it was worth it. The cost is 10 pounds list or $19.99. There are some new & used copies available on Amazon.com at a cheaper price or contact your local library.

Regards
Marilyn

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:39 am

Hi Marilyn & Joette,

Thanks for posting this. It sounds like a great book. I think that I will buy it second hand. I have to much "Scot's Blood" to pay full price. :D

Regards
Sheila

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:26 am

Hi Sheila,

The thanks goes to maceill for suggesting this book. I don't blame you for not paying full price. I couldn't get Amazon to honor my virtual credit card, otherwise I would own a second hand copy myself. :D

Don't forget to check your local library for a loan, now that's a real Scot!

Its a good read.....

Marilyn

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:13 am

Having just got through all my 3 for 2 offers (The Book Thief, The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns etc..all the Richard and Judy Summer reads :roll: ) I thought i should clear my head by reading something different and uplifting and as i am making tracks with my Irish side though i would treck throught the recommendations on here.
Well, i just ordered Irish £7.99 from Daunts in Marylebone High Street (anyone who is visiting London should go in this book shop and take a look as its fantastic) and should have it by the weekend but there is a possibly of it being in tomorrow only i wont be there.
So it looks like more tissues to the ready :lol:
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am

As at least one of my rellies was in Barnhill I can hardly see the keyboard to type.
I am again amazed that our ancestors came through such hard times & out the other end.
My GGGGgreat-Grandmother died there at about 80.I do hope she wasn't washing sheets or shirts.I think she had already washed a lifetime of them already.
I will be off to Marleybone High St after my hols.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 am

Joette as far as ordering the book, they were by far the quickest regarding waiting time (but i dont have it yet so we'll see !) and they didnt want payment over the phone like the bookstore equivalent of the coffee chains that will remain nameless :wink: besides i would much rather buy from a shop like this - a proper book shop !
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Falkyrn

Re: Irish by John Burrowes

Post by Falkyrn » Wed May 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Sadly, having read some of the authors other works I expected more from this book especially since its subject matter affected both sides of my direct lines. While none of us alive today can claim to know anything about the hardships endured by our ancestors, especially those from Ireland during the famine period and the decades that followed I had hoped for far more from Mr Burrowes (some sources to back up his claims would have been good).

I could not recommend it to anyone interested in a true rendition of " The remarkable saga of a nation and a city"
~RJ Paton~