The Christian Watt Papers

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

david macdiarmid

The Christian Watt Papers

Post by david macdiarmid » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:12 am

[book] I Do not think that our TS book forum is set up yet,which is a great shame,as i for one think it's a great idea.This could be an invaluable asset for the TS membership worldwide,who don't have the means of local research etc.Anyway,i digress.I am just about to do something that i have never done before,that being,read a particular book for the third time,granted this is over a thirty year period,but for me a first. The book in question is The Christian Watt Papers,for anybody either from, or researching the north east of Scotland,particularly the County of Buchan,the village of Broadsea and The Broch,Fraserburgh.Christian Watt,describes the social history of the area and beyond, perfectly.She was born in 1833 into an ancient family of fisherfolk,and of extremely proud tradition,her life was full of adventure,and laughter but it was also filled with grief and sadness losing so many of her family,including her own Favourite Son to the sea.Christian's story takes you right back to the time as she lived it and unbelievably,her papers were written in an institution in Cornhill in Aberdeen where she lived for almost 50 years.Christian died in 1923.There is an introduction to the book by General Sir David Fraser,where he explains how the papers were put together etc.I urge any one interested in researching this area to seek out this wonderful book.Your views are all most welcome.Once the book forum is up and running a i have reread The Christian Watt Paper's again,i will make a proper comment,.David :-
Banks,Bennet-Clark,Bird,Cholat,Clark,Clay,Dupre,Dupuis,Fraser,Grant,Gunn,Hooper
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: The Christian Watt Papers

Post by SarahND » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi David,
Sounds like a fascinating book! I have just ordered a copy :D

Not sure what you mean about the book forum not being set up yet, since you are posting on it!

All the best,
Sarah

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 pm

#-o Hi Sarah,so i am,silly of me.You will not be disappointed in the book,i am certain of that.When you read the life that these fisher folk endured,going around the country selling cured fish,although these were the happiest day's of Christians life.It must have been back breaking.I feel i could go on and on but it would not be fair to you.So at the end of all this if only you and i have read the book,then we both can review it properly,Many Regards,David
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

AileenA

Post by AileenA » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks for the info, sounds fascinating, I've just ordered it at my library. :)
searching for: Hutchison or Hutcheson, Frame, Campbell

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi this is a message for AnneM.Hi Anne,I noticed you were looking for a Lascelles family.Would they be from the Buchan sort of area ? If so ,The book mentioned in this blog has a Lascelles family in it ,and conveniently,has a couple of pages with a family tree type affair,showing the relationship between the families.If your folk are from that neck of the woods,worth checking out,Regards,David :D

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks David

My Lascelles are mostly in the Fife and Angus areas but I have researched a bit for people with family in
Buchan and the Broch so will be pleased to have a look at your recommendation.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi David,

Thank you for sharing this information with us. I have just ordered a copy from Amazon.
I wish that there was something like this or some kind of social history for Stirlingshire, Renfrewshire, Mull and Perthshire. If any book exists, regarding 19th or 18th centuries, for these parts of Scotland, I would be very glad is somebody would tell me about it.
Sheila

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:19 am

[book] Hi Sheila,I am still re-reading Christian's book,it's not a book with many pages, but i read it when i can. I find it more fascinating 3rd time round because i suppose my interest in genealogy means more to me now than in the early 80's.This was one feisty,intelligent and beautiful Lady,who's travels to London and America and throughout Scotland,tell us as readers, of the very times that we are researching.When her breakdown came she is very open about it,and if we had to endure in today's climate ,half of what she did,i guess some of us would have gone the same way.You are right every part of the country should have a social history account of times past.I can't help thinking that your area will have quite a few books dealing with this.After you read the Christian Watt Papers,Sheila,will you get back and make a comment. :D David ps Christian uses numbers all the time to describe where families live,it's simple ,but it took me a wee while to pick it up,first time, :oops:

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi DAvid

When I get the book and read it, I will certainly get back to you.
Sheila

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:58 pm

Just finished the book-- fascinating! Thanks so much for bringing it to the attention of the forum, David.

The numbers for people didn't confuse me, but most of the words I didn't understand were NOT in the very short glossary at the end. Sometimes it's clear from the context what she means, but not always! Well, that didn't really bother me except that I like to learn some more interesting local words 8)

One of the eye-opening things in the book was how much people travelled in those days. We tend to think they stayed more or less in one place, but not so! I had no idea that the fisher-folk from Buchan would sail over to the Western Isles every year to work, then traipse around the Highlands selling the fish. Christian also went to Edinburgh and London to work, popped over to New York and worked there, etc. and it didn't seem to be anything unusual. It's interesting to hear her descriptions of the different types of people in Scotland, their different ways of talking, etc. And her horror at the poverty in London and Glasgow makes you realize that no matter how poor the fisher-folk were, they still had it better than the poor in the big cities.

Well, I won't say too much about the book, not wanting to spoil the read for the others :wink: but I enjoyed it very much.

Regards,
Sarah