Place names Carmylie, Lintrathen & Dundee

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

WendyT

Place names Carmylie, Lintrathen & Dundee

Post by WendyT » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:56 am

Could somebody familiar with the area solve this problem for me? My ancestor John Ogilvie was born in 1804 in Carmylie, Forfarshire (according to the 1851 & 1861 censuses). When I did the search of the OPR Births & Baptisms on Scotlands People I came up with 2 John Ogilvies born in 1804 in Angus - one in the Parish of 'Lintrathen in /Angus' and the other in 'Dundee Dundee City/City Angus'. Can somebody tell me which parish would be more likely to record citizens born in Carmylie? Thanks if you can help.
Wendy
Queensland, Australia

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Place names Carmylie, Lintrathen & Dundee

Post by SarahND » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:06 am

Hello Wendy and a warm welcome to [talkingscot]
Searching for Carmylie on Google maps, one gets "Carmyllie, Arbroath, Angus." It is definitely the closest to Arbroath, but is not too far from Dundee (13-14 miles). It is twice as far from Lintrathen, so that one seems to be out.

The problem with pre-1855 records is that there is no guarantee that your ancestor actually has an existing birth record... so the Dundee one might or might not be him. Do you have his death record? If so, you can compare the parents' names given at the time of death with those of the OPR birth.

All the best,
Sarah

momat

Post by momat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Wendy,
Don't know if this helps you but on the http://www.familysearch.org site there are two John OGILVIE / OGILIVY with the localities you mention but they are from different parents.

JOHN OGILVY Pedigree
Male
Birth:
Christening:
01 OCT 1804 Carmyllie, Angus, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAMES OGILVY Family
Mother: ANNE COWLEY

JOHN OGILVIE Pedigree
Male
Birth:
20 JUN 1804 Bridgend Of Lintrathen, Angus, Scotland
Christening:
Parents:
Father: JOHN OGILVIE Family
Mother: JANNET EDWARD
Maureen

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Wendy and Maureen,
The one in Carmyllie, son of James and Anne looks very likely. If you haven't looked already, I see that on Scotland's People there is a death of a John Ogilvie in Arbroath (where he was in the censuses mentioned) in 1868, age 62 (close enough). Have you checked that one out? Let's hope the parents on the death certificate are James and Anne!

Regards,
Sarah

momat

Post by momat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:49 am

Let's hope the parents on the death certificate are James and Anne!
That is the names on the Death Cert,but Anne's surname name is slightly different !
It has John as having been married twice, first Jane Stewart second Elizabeth Davidson.
Hope this helps.
Maureen

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:05 am

Hi Maureen,
Thanks for looking that up. How different is the surname?
The wives seem to be reversed... at least if I have the right couple, John is married to Elizabeth in the 1841 and 1851 censuses and to Jean in 1861. Jean also appears to be his widow in 1871. I was wondering if they were the same person, since both Elizabeth and Jean were born in Melrose at about the same time!

Regards,
Sarah

momat

Post by momat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:14 am

Just to add to the data, there are two Public Member trees on Ancestry for this Family.
Maureen

momat

Post by momat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:17 am

Anne's name is listed as Coullie.
Going by the death Cert he was married to Jane at time of death.
:oops: I appeared to have transposed the wives in the wrong order on my earlier post.
Sorry
Maureen

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:25 am

momat wrote:Anne's name is listed as Coullie.
Close enough! So looks to be the correct birth.
momat wrote: :oops: I appeared to have transposed the wives in the wrong order on my earlier post.
Sorry
So it wasn't the death informant who made the mistake! Now that's straightened out :D
[cheers]
Sarah

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:56 am

momat wrote:Just to add to the data, there are two Public Member trees on Ancestry for this Family.
On one of the trees, the author has John and Elizabeth twice in the 1851 census: once in Arbroath, as a carter (as he is also in the other censuses) and once in Islington, Middlesex as a Master Compositor! I think this has got to be a confusion of people of the same name...

Regards,
Sarah