What does this mean ?

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

crayspond

What does this mean ?

Post by crayspond » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi to all at TS,

It's been a while since i have posted on the site - I thought a break was necessary. :D
On a birth cert for Dougald McFarlane born 08/10/1815 it states Dougald son to Dougald McFarlane Woolspinner late in Dunning and Elizabeth Garvie --in fornication.
What would it mean by 'late" in Dunning ?

Regards

Ailsa

Hibee

Re: What does this mean ?

Post by Hibee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi Ailsa

Probably means he used to live in the parish of Dunning.

Hibee
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi Ailsa:

Glad to see you on the board again!

Late in this instance means that Dougald was deceased or had moved by the time of the baby's birth. http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/conte ... .aspx?1017

I thnk Elizabeth may have been known to affiliate with other men before Dougald's death, but as she was a married woman it would have been registered as his child; or she may have faced a tribunal if the child was born later than 9 months after Dougald's death; or she may have simply admitted that it was not his child.

Is the information on the baptismal record? If so, there may be further church records showing information about the tribunal.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi Ailsa
born 08/10/1815 it states Dougald son to Dougald McFarlane Woolspinner late in Dunning and Elizabeth Garvie --in fornication
On IGI this christening is listed for Dunning (with the birth listed on IGI as 18th May).
My take on the wording would be that Dougald McFarlane the Woolspinner who is the father of the child used to live in Dunning, but at the time of the christening did not live there, and that the child was born to a couple (Dougald & Elizabeth) who were not married. The Kirk Session records should, if they are extant for Dunning at that date, give a bit more background to the circumstances.

Best wishes
Lesley

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.
My mistake - it is a record of his birth of 18th May . I had been looking at the top of the extract which says 08/10/1815 (opr births 350/0010 0331 Dunning)- which may be his christening - it doesn't say. All it says is
Oct 8 Dougald son to Dougald McFarlane Woolspinner late in Dunning and Elizabeth Garvie --in fornication.
I did look for any deaths of Dougald snr round about the time of Dougald jnr birth and conception but nothing came up. Also no marriage for him and Elizabeth Garvie either. More likely that he hot footed it from Dunning :roll:
I think the full sentence is - utd(united?) in fornication - don't know if that makes much difference.
Back to the drawing board!

Ailsa

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:15 am

Hi Ailsa,

Do you have this census for a likely Elizabeth at Dunning in 1841?

Thomas Callum 48
Catherine Callum 40
Jean Callum 18
John Callum 15
William Callum 14
Elisabeth Garvie 55 born Perthshire
Isabella Watson 20
Ann Greig 30
David Elving 4
William Mcleish 7 MO
Nancy Franson 30

Regards,
Annette

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi Annette,
No I don't - well done. I always assumed that she was unmarried when she had Dougald jnr and that if she didn't marry Dougald snr she would have maybe married someone else. Does it say any more about her ? or what relation she is to the others?

Thanks,

Ailsa