Problem reading image

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

nelmit

Re: Problem reading image

Post by nelmit » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:08 am

Ann and Hannah are definitely not the same person so you can strike that one off your list. Could Mary Gray be Hannah's stepmother?

Pretty sure this is them in 1841 at Ashkirk. I particularly like John Matheson's occupation!! :D

James Scott 30
Margaret Scott 25
Janet Scott 17
Mary Scott 5
Margaret Scott 2
Robert Scott 1
Thomas Gray 68
Mary Gray 54
John Gray 18
Thomas Gray 16
James Gray 11
Mary Wight 50
Mary Matheson 60
John Matheson 25 VS and Smith
Ann Matheson 25
Robert Matheson 20

Mary is still alive in 1851 (FREECEN) and living next door to an Ann Scott of the right age to be her daughter.

Regards,
Annette

SandySandilands

Re: Problem reading image

Post by SandySandilands » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:42 pm

nelmit wrote:Ann and Hannah are definitely not the same person so you can strike that one off your list. Could Mary Gray be Hannah's stepmother?

Pretty sure this is them in 1841 at Ashkirk. I particularly like John Matheson's occupation!! :D

Mary Matheson 60
John Matheson 25 VS and Smith
Ann Matheson 25
Robert Matheson 20

Mary is still alive in 1851 (FREECEN) and living next door to an Ann Scott of the right age to be her daughter.

Regards,
Annette
LOVE IT! =D>

Has a look through my notes:

James Matheson, the husband of Mary Gray was born 1774, in Ashkirk, the son of James Mathison and Ann Scott.
Mary Gray, was born 1778, in Roxburghshire, the dau of John Gray and Isabel Tait.

I managed to find a death certificate for their son John Mathewson, who died at Ashkirk in 1876. His father is recorded as James Mathewson, Blacksmith, deceased.

So, Mary Grey could indeed be a step-mother to my Hannah. I wasn't able to find a marriage entry for James and Mary to see if their marriage was before or after Hannah's birth.

Thanks for your help Annette - it's great to have someone else take a look at it all :)