An inconvenient death

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish1

An inconvenient death

Post by trish1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:34 am

OPR burial on 24th December 1854 - that he could have lived another week :( and what is probable could be proven

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: An inconvenient death

Post by SarahND » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 am

Bad luck, Trish!
I guess someone had to die that week, but too bad it was your ancestor... Unless he really did die in January, but the locals didn't want to have to fill out all that paperwork, so made it look like he died the week before :shock: :lol:

Sarah

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:16 am

:shock: :( :( So close to the winning line :!: Some of our ancestors were most inconsiderate. We have one like that but not just as close. She was born in London which makes her even more difficult to trace :!: :!:
Ah weel ! You can't win them all :roll:

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

trish1

Post by trish1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Sarah - the opr index is in fact the date of death - died Dec 24th, buried on Christmas Day - I had only seen the index when I posted my sad & assumed the date was a burial.
Russell - the English have much to answer for with their not very useful certificates! Have you checked the London Metro Archives for the baptism of your lass? I have found them very useful.

The burial contains some useful information - age at death agrees with the most likely baptism, so not too bad. Also gives his cause of death as cholera & a 16 weeks old babe (probably a daughter) who died just a few days earlier.

The writing at the bottom of the page gives the history
This concludes the registration under the old law. The new Registration Act comes into operation on Monday 1st Jany 1855
Newbattle Saturday 30th Dec 1854 David Dunlop Session Clerk

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:43 am

If luck were on your side, would it be worthwhile checking the Catholic records?

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow