Mary Sutherland/Sandison

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

Flo

Mary Sutherland/Sandison

Post by Flo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi, I really hope somebody can help me with this.
I have Mary Sutherland that married William Sandison Feb 27th 1834 in Latheron, Caithness.
I have a death for Mary, July 27th 1892, Halkirk, Caithness, which states her parents are Robert Sutherland and Elizabeth Stout. In 1891 she is recorded as living with her daughter Elizabeth Munro in Halkirk.
I have the birth for Mary Sutherland to these parents, however it states June 6th 1824, which would make her 9 years old when she married William Sandison!!
My problem is that there are no other deaths of a Mary Sandison/Sutherland other than the one I already have.
Please help! I have no idea what to try next. ](*,) ](*,)
Thanks, Fiona.

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Mary Sutherland/Sandison

Post by SarahND » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:00 am

Hello Fiona,

Her ages in the censuses look more like she was born about 1820 - still young for that marriage, but possible. Are you sure that the 6 June 1824 record you found was a birth, rather than a baptism? I have seen numerous records where an entire family of children of all ages were baptized on the same day.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Flo

Re: Mary Sutherland/Sandison

Post by Flo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:40 am

Hi, thanks for your reply. It looks like the birth I had was the wrong one. When I looked again I realised the birth only stated a father's name, and once I'd searched again I came up with another birth, again with only the father's name, but this time in 1817, which tallys with all the other ages I have, so problem solved!