Brick Wall:Was Janet Liddle Scott the Black Widow? .....

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

joette
Global Moderator

Brick Wall:Was Janet Liddle Scott the Black Widow? .....

Post by joette » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:38 am

:?: My Paternal GGreat Aunt was born in Glencorse,Midlothian in 1841.
Parents John Scott & Helen Veitch(He Melrose she Eddlestone.)
In 1864 she marries one John Christie son of William Christie (Farmer) & Anne Sangster. In 1867 Helen Veitch Christie is born in Perthshire. Anne Sangster Christie is born Greenock 1869. They are all together in the 1871 Census living in Milngavie,New Kilpatrick(where my Maternal GGrandparents will live ten years later).
Helen is found on the 1881&1891 Censuses living in Penicuik with her Grandparents John Scott & Helen Veitch. I can find no Marriage or Death for her.
After 1871 it is if the Parents & sister disappear.No Death of John who was 12 years older & no remarriage for Janet,I find the Death of Ann Sangster Christie in 1871 in Milngavie when she was two of a"fracture of the skull" Father registered Death but not present when it happened.
Then :idea: I remember the tale of the Black Widow(I was a fanciful child & gave my Ancestors nicknames)Now this was something my Granny told me & as she has proven to be not entirely right this may be a wild goose chase but I thought I would share my crazy family story.
One of my Grandpas Aunts(Janet was the only girl amongst six boys) was reputed to have been widowed several times.He did have several Aunts on his Mothers side & I wasnt discounting the Great variety either.
Now I know that life for a single woman was hard & life fragile but this one emigrated to South Africa- widowed remarried,widowed, emigrated to New Zealand repeat process possibly Canada or Australia where she eventually settled. I am drawn to Australia as there is a family Picture(we had a wooden album filled with wonderful family photos but for some unfathomable reason I burnt lots of the photos & album when I was 12 :oops: :oops: )of a very grand older lady in an Austalian photo studio-
looks circa 1880 by the fashions & there is a family resemblance.(this photo survived & is safely with my Mother.)
I have tried Family Search,Scotlands People etc etc to find trace of these ancestors - the only place I havent checked is the English BMD although I wouldnt know how to as my lot left the Continent when they left Scotland - anybody any :idea:
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

joette
Global Moderator

Not the Black Widow/Janet Liddell Scott found

Post by joette » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:37 pm

I dont know whether to :D or :cry: I have found the missing Janet Christie.
I have searched using both surnames,no joy.Then today after my success in finding Ann Sangster Christie decided to give them another go.
I knew she was born in 1841 so have always been precise in the age,ditto name always including the middle name Liddell.
I missed the middle name out, used year range & bingo there she is died in 1872 of Typhus Fever, the same cause of death for her youngest brother 5 years later.Her fight lasted 13 days his an amazing 44.
How lucky we are with modern sanitation,inoculations & antibiotics today.
Thats four rellies so far carried off by Typhus,four childhood Whooping Coughs& three Menigitis type Deaths a disease that almost carried off my nephew fifteen years ago.How times have changed
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins