These Catholic records are wonderful!

Records from the Scottish Catholic Archives

Moderator: Global Moderators

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:17 pm

annpa wrote:Mary -
Would any of the Bonners/Bonnars in your ancestry have been Crampseys?
The names were interchangeable in Donegal. I have a Crampsey who changed his name to Bonner, and then disappeared off the face of the earth.
Thanks for the suggestion, Annpa, but if they did use the name Crampsey, then it was before the family came to Scotland, and anyway, they originated in Londonderry.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Mary wrote:
He'd been "on the Parish" for a while after an injury at work (no sick pay back then) so money was tight.
What does this mean, Mary?

Do you mean his catholic church parish had a programme to help support their parishioners in need, sort of similar to the poorhouse, or are you talking about the council parish relief??

I need educated!

Regards,
Anne H

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi Anne,

He was on council poor relief, nothing to do with the church.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:59 pm

And there are a few surprises too... My Dad's family has been staunchly Presbyterian since the beginning of time--approximately!

I went ahead and did a search anyway and got a result--one child in one family in one branch of the family tree baptized RC in 1864. Haven't figured this out yet! :o

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks, Mary. :)

Regards,
Anne H

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:20 pm

Call me stupid - i wont mind but................... my Caseys were (sometimes) Catholic, i have most births from SP, am i likely to find anything on them in these records ?

Like Emanday there is a story about my gt grandmother having an argument with a Priest at the door who was wanting money (when she couldnt afford to feed her lot) and its said thats when we stopped being Catholic !
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:45 pm

Tracey wrote:Call me stupid - i wont mind but................... my Caseys were (sometimes) Catholic, i have most births from SP, am i likely to find anything on them in these records ?
Hi Tracey,

You may or may not find your Caseys in there. Assuming the parish was established pre-1855 and the people were baptised in the Catholic Church then they should be in these records. These records are very similar to the Church of Scotland OPRs. They mostly give the child's name, the birth date, the baptism date, the parents' names, the address, the sponsor(s) and the priest's name. As with the OPRs, the actual information recorded varies from parish to parish and year to year.

All the best,

AndrewP

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Andrew wrote:
Assuming the parish was established pre-1855
There is at least one exception to that Andrew...St. Augustine's in Langloan, Coatbridge was established in 1892 and those records are online. I'm glad! :D

Regards,
Anne H

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:13 pm

Thank you Andrew
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:26 pm

I am confused.

1. My Catholics are from Glasgow. But nobody is showing up. It looks like all the Glasgow churches listed were established before 1855. So I can't understand why they are not there.

2. Am I correct when thinking that SP is not returning results for after the date 1909? Even though it says Catholic Parish Records 1703-1955? Because I do not get anything for anyone after then either.

I must be missing something.

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)