Farquhar - born Paisley, recorded Eaglesham.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

nancy

Post by nancy » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:53 am

Hi,I remember Farquhars used to visit the Goodwins in Paisley in late 50s.I remember it was first time i had heard name.Now there's a Farquhar bookies,first time i heard name again locally in all those yrs. JACK,-------If I do need your assistance in getting to Park Circus,I hope my bus isn't heading towards there,and you going to Mitchell by habit. :? Cheers Nancy.

annpa

Farquhar - born Paisley, recorded Eaglesham

Post by annpa » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:23 am

Dear all - thought I'd have a quick look before I went to bed to see if there were any replies to my query!!!. think I'll have to have a really good look at them all tomorrow when I am awake. Interesting that Abbey (Paisley) might have an offshoot (originally a grange?) in Eaglesham. Have no doubt I'll be back with some more questions. Thanks to you all for your thoughts on this. I've been after this family for years, and would really like to solve the mystery. There is a fmaily story (just to add some more murk to this) that this Farquhar family originated from near Glenlivet. How would I find out births etc from there?
thanks again to all
[size=75] Annpa Fincher seeking
[b]FARQUHAR[/b] Paisley, Glenlivet;
[b]CASEY, CRAMPSEY, KELLY, CROSSAN[/b] Glasgow, Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire;
[b]SPARKS[/b] Inverness-shire, Glasgow, Norwich;
[b]MATHESON[/b] Banff, Ross[/size]

annpa

Farquhar - born Paisley, recorded Eaglesham

Post by annpa » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:02 pm

Morag - the parents of my ELIZABETH FARQUHAR (married to DANIEL CROSSAN) were JOHN FARQUHAR and MARY LANG. Unfortunately I do not yet know where or when they were married. There seems to be a fair few JOHN FARQUHARs but they all seem to be married to different wives!
Would be great if there were a connection, but I'm not holding my breath.
I've yet to find a connection through these genealogy boards, except for one second or so cousin whom I knew about anyway!

annpa

elizabeth farquhar

Post by annpa » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:27 pm

Jack - you are a wonder!!!!
I don't have access to early census returns of Paisley, unless you can tell me where to access them. And there Elizabeth is, age 1 in the 1841 census. (perhaps she was shy of being a couple of years older than Daniel Crossan when they married!!)
I had come across a marriage of Mary Lang and John Farguhar in 1924 in Cambuslang, but was not sure of the spelling, but I suppose the clerk just put the tail of the Q in the wrong direction and it looks like a G.
I had Mary as a daughter, and was finding it difficult with a gap between 1824 and 1832 when Janet was born, but by dint of * and # I had a right go at SP and found James. Actually 2 James, one born 1827 and one born 1829. Another confusing thing is the omission of Thomas Lang in both census (1841/1851). I had some Thomas's but the ages don't really add up so I think he must have died young, I shall have to follow up James, though.
Thank you so much, this has given me so much already and a lot to think about.
Still don't know where to find Elizabeth's birth, but 1 yr old on the census may be the nearest I get!!
Cheers again!
Just one other thing, it seems that Christian and Christina are interchangeable??

annpa

Elizabeth Farquhar

Post by annpa » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:35 pm

Davie/Jack

It seems my Farquhars are not the only ones then being recorded in Eaglesham when born in Paisley (Abbey) even though 50 years before mine.
Paisley Abbey seems to have had an interesting history. must see if I can read up anything on it.
where do I get hold of OPR films of abbey (Paisely) and Eaglesham?
cheers - I've been trying for about 15 years to track Elizabeth down - I'm getting nearer!!

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Elizabeth Farquhar

Post by AndrewP » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:56 pm

annpa wrote:where do I get hold of OPR films of abbey (Paisely) and Eaglesham?
Unless you are coming to Scotland, your nearest place to view these OPRs is at your nearest Latter Day Saints Family History Centre (LDS FHC). Somewhere on the www.familysearch.org website ther is a place to search for your nearest FHC. They can order the microfilms in for your use for a fee.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

Jack

Christian / Christina

Post by Jack » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:43 am

Hi Annpa,

Yes, they are interchangeable - and with other similar names too.
One i see fairly often in Scotland is Chirsty - maybe meant to say Christy.
More so nowadays the "K" start is popular - as in Kristina or Kirsty.

There are a number of name sites - here's one. http://www.behindthename.com/

Jack

celticguy41

Re: Farquhar - born Paisley, recorded Eaglesham.....

Post by celticguy41 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 pm

is this post still live ??

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Farquhar - born Paisley, recorded Eaglesham.....

Post by paddyscar » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:09 pm

A warm welcome celticguy41 to Talkinsscot! [scotland-flag]

Obviously, you have noticed there have been no posts to this thread recently. There is a provision in registering that sends notices to posters, when something new is added. This option is not always checked by members when registering.

There is a page available related to one of the posters in this thread which may be of interest/help to you https://lastnames.myheritage.com/last-n ... WwQAvD_BwE

Hope this will give you some leads.
paddyscar
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow