Bottlemaker in Dumbarton?

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

littlealison

Bottlemaker in Dumbarton?

Post by littlealison » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:21 am

I've just found a post in Rootschat about someone's ancestor who was a bottlemaker in Dumbarton. The bottlemaker in Glasgow in this forum was born there in 1841, but I know that the main works there closed down by about 1850. His father may have worked there.
Anyone any information about any glassworks there?
Researching:
LITTLE - Scotland, Lancashire, Dublin and South Africa. And Canada.
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland
ANDREWS, MEMERY, DOWSE and BIRMINGHAM - Dublin
PRICE, JACKSON, ROGERS, ALLEN - N. Wales

Currie

Re: Bottlemaker in Dumbarton?

Post by Currie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:20 am

Hello Alison,

There are several adverts in the English newspapers, including the Times, between November, 1836, and May, 1837, similar to the one in the Bristol Mercury, Saturday, May 6, 1837, which reads partly as follows.

For sale, Crown Glass Works, Bottle Works and Chemical Works, at Dumbarton and Bottle Works at Greenock …………………..etc
The DUMBARTON GLASS WORKS, which have been established and carried on, on a large scale, for nearly half a century, and embrace ample bounds, buildings and conveniences ……………………etc

It goes on to describe the buildings, machinery, raw materials etc

Also this item in the Blackburn Standard, Wednesday, March 15, 1837.

GLASGOW.—The lords of the treasury have at length consented to erect a custom house for the growing trade of this city. Saturday the lord provost received from the treasury the plans of the proposed building, which is to be erected on the central portion of the ground lately belonging to the Dumbarton Bottle Work Company.—Glasgow Chronicle.

I’m not sure whether both refer to the same company

There are some entries for Dumbarton Glass in the Edinburgh Gazette http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issu ... ss/start=1 and at National Archives of Scotland. http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Alan

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Sequestration means they went bust? Quite a while before 1850, too. Useful site that Edinburgh Gazette, I think, thank you. I will tell the poster in Rootschat when she responds.

"For sale, Crown Glass Works, Bottle Works and Chemical Works, at Dumbarton and Bottle Works at Greenock …………………etc" - this is a big firm! And the Blackburn bit is about Glasgow? So they had works there too. - Meaning there could be openings for expansion of works in Glasgow?

Both Johns were bottlemakers so I'm deducing that the Dumbarton works was where the older John worked. But were there other bottle works there?

The only evidence I have that John Little's father was there is that he does seem to have been born in Dumbarton (later censuses and a family tree received). I can't find his mother Isabella or his older sister Elizabeth, or him, anywhere. In 1851 his father was in Glasgow and remarried, with only two of the four children of his first marriage.
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:03 am

Hello Alison,

Just in case you haven’t seen them, here are some odds and ends you may find interesting.

Dumbarton Glassworks.
http://www.dumbarton-online.com/glass.htm

The Scottish glass industry 1610-1750 – limited preview.
http://books.google.com/books?id=JdNn2x ... 22&f=false

Victorian Glassworlds – limited preview.
http://books.google.com/books?id=sRkbME ... ss&f=false

Alan

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:57 am

Thanks Alan. The Dumbarton one I had seen, but not the others - Interesting. A good glossary for glassmaking!
The second John Little, my ggrandfather, is an elusive man. Mother, Isabella Pirrie (who she??). Born in Scotland (pay BMDs, although I've had a bit of help here recently about his wife), moved to Glasgow (don't know where he worked there, but he made bottles), then Dublin (census - what census?) and - joins the Plymouth Brethren, so ruling out, apparently, church information...then to (oh no - I haven't faced this one yet) South Africa.
We have several photos of him, but such a small amount of information. And just the same about his work places. Thanks for yours about Dumbarton!
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

Rob Na

Post by Rob Na » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:35 pm

In 2003 I visited the Dumbarton Family History Centre. They had a collection of files and documents on the former glass factory. Unfortunately I cannot find my notes from the visit but here is what I could find.

"Dumbarton had been a centre of glass making in Scotland, making 30% of Britains glass at its peak. It was founded in 1780 or so, occupied six acres and employed 300 people, used 1200 tons of coal a year and 2000 tons of straw, for packing. Of the 300 over 90% were employed outside the glass house. It went bankrupt in 1831. It was reestablished a few years later but went bust again. I walked to where it used to be, no sign of course, not even a plaque. Took a photo, three high rise flats."

Photo of flats available if anyone interested.

What I would like to find is a sample of Dumbarton glass.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi Rob and [TS_welcome]
Like you I woiuld like to find an intact piece of Dumbarton glass to add to my collection of old bottles. thanks for adding another bit of the jigsaw.
Littleallison has done quite a bit more on her delving into her glass maker family history. It has taken her down some surprising channels and Alan has found numerous fascinating articles on the topic.It has intrigued quite a few members and added to our understanding of yet another trade.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Rob Na

Post by Rob Na » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:42 am

Russell,

Thanks for that. My g g grandfather was John Nash, a glass maker, who worked at the Dumbarton glass works. He subsequently moved to St Helens and worked for Pilkingtons. A recently deceased descendant also worked at St Helens for Pilkingtons.

Robinson1857

Post by Robinson1857 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Hello, Alison. I was wondering if you've had any luck locating any records of the Dumbarton Glass Works. In John C. Logan's paper on the Dumbarton Glass Works, he cites records of the Dumbarton Glass Works, but I have been unable to locate them. I contacted the West Dunbartonshire Council which directed me to the National Archives of Scotland which directed me back to the West Dunbartonshire Council. Round and around we go! :roll:
I also contacted the Dumbarton Library which didn't have the records either. I was hoping to track down John C. Logan, to ask where he obtained access to such records back in 1971, but I haven't found any contact info. Next time I go to Corning Glass Museum, I will peruse his dissertation to look for any clues. Where did those records go? :?

Any thoughts or suggestions? I am looking for any Robinsons that may have been involved with the Glass Works 1800-1810.

Regards,

Alan

littlealison wrote:I've just found a post in Rootschat about someone's ancestor who was a bottlemaker in Dumbarton. The bottlemaker in Glasgow in this forum was born there in 1841, but I know that the main works there closed down by about 1850. His father may have worked there.
Anyone any information about any glassworks there?
Scottish Surnames: ROBINSON, LITTLE, CHRISTIE
My Robinson Genealogy https://sites.google.com/site/robinson1857/

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Hello again all

I had a PM from RootsChat - asking actually about Hugh PRICE, of Borron, Price & Co, glassmakers in Glasgow - (any info welcome) - but this has led me into the byeways of my family.

Someone called Primrose BELL who came from the Dumbarton factory in 1815 to their Glasgow works in Jamaica Street may possibly be connected with my family. Amazing name. It's a long shot as there are many Bells.
The problem, as for the last poster, is to find any records for this time.
Primrose Bell is variously described in what records I've found as Cashier, Manager and Agent for Dumbarton.
The latter may mean in Glasgow. I have no birth date or place of birth, but think he died in the early 1840s.
I have found a will in 1842. He may not have married.
In memoirs there is this: 'Some yet may remember the calm, pleasing appearance of Mr. Primrose Bell, in his snug, selfcontained dwelling-house....' at an appearance in court connected with the Scottish Reformers in probably the 1830s.
This connects with the will, BUT it's any early records I am looking for. Before 1815!

Here's a lovely piece I just found about the works though.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/loca ... s-11213404

Hopefully - Alison
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland