WW2 Records

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

MarionRobertson

WW2 Records

Post by MarionRobertson » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:17 am

Hi Folks
I am hoping some of you can help me, I am trying to find out what regiment my uncle was in in WW2.
My uncles name was James McKenzie Robertson his date of birth was 1909 and he died 1948 aged 39,he was born in Govan Glasgow, he married in 1932
and divorced about 10 years later their was a daughter born out of the marraige but she has since died, she had a son who has also died.
The story that we where told was that my uncle James was a commended soldier (dont know if that is the right word). I have been told that you have
to be next of kin to get information, would I qualify as next of kin being he has no living descendants and I am his neice?
Look forward to hearing from some of you soon
Marion x

Currie

Re: WW2 Records

Post by Currie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:10 am

Hello Marion,

WW2 British Army service records are held by Ministry of Defence. This page has information about how to apply for personal records of deceased service personnel. http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/About ... sonnel.htm

It sets out the sort of information that will be released, without the consent of next-of-kin, within the first 25 years following death and afterwards. I don’t know what other information they would have, if any, that would only be released with next-of-kin consent. Note that they refer to immediate next-of-kin. Depending on how that is defined, maybe you would need to prove that the previous immediate next-of-kin are deceased. I haven’t been there myself. Mr. Robertson has been deceased for 62 years but you would still have to provide proof of his death as MOD doesn’t usually keep track of such things.

Usually military awards are mentioned in the London Gazette. I can’t see his name there, however there is a Civil Service appointment of someone by that name as a Temporary Postman Messenger in 1932. A particular region isn’t mentioned. (near top of left column) http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33805/pages/1509

Hope that helps,
Alan

MarionRobertson

Post by MarionRobertson » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Alan
Thanks for getting back to me I have contacted the MOD and it will cost me £30 to get information from them but they also say that their is the possibility that their is no information as a lot of their records where destroyed during the London blitz but either way It will still cost £30.
Alan I checked out the London Gazzette and Alan do you think that my uncle James would have been in the army in 1932 although the war didnt start until a few years later? My sister said she remembers the family saying that he worked with the Red Cross I dont know what he would have done their maybe ambulance driver ? I really dont know its like looking for a needle in a haystack so any help would be much appreciated.
Bye for now
Marion x

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:05 am

Hello Marion,

Most of the WW1 service records were destroyed during the WW2 Blitz. I haven’t heard of anything similar happening to WW2 records. Maybe whoever you were in contact with is getting their Wars mixed up.

I think that with service records it’s a matter of luck. Some can be very informative while others may not contain much information at all. http://www.army.mod.uk/welfare-support/family/6980.aspx

If he married in 1932 in Scotland (or in England) his occupation will be on the marriage certificate. Scottish marriage certificates are available online from SP up to 1934. If you don’t have it already it may answer a few questions. There’s also the 1948 death certificate.

All the best,
Alan