Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Heidihei

Re: Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Post by Heidihei » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:09 pm

When reading all the information everyone has given me again, "mb " mention John aged 7 in the 1891 cencus and that makes 11 children so fare:lol: he was born 9 Apr 1882 at Cathcare.
Margaret Ferguson nee Walton died at Hillhead, Burgh Glasgow 25 Jun 1907 - hear againe it looks like her dad was a waste dealer :?:
Will check trough the info again. Heidi :P

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:01 am

Heidihei wrote:
.....mich snipped.............

- as the ages in the censes did not match the on I picked up on Fam. Sea I put the names on SP and found the others as they seam to repeat names of children that has died - have not looked for any other children.
Heidi
Both extremes were common, i.e. once a child had died in infancy, the name was never used again, thru to the possibly more common where the name was repeated, possibly more than one time.

It can be vital to realise that a child born after a census who died before the next census will not show up via census searches. That might seem self evident but it's tripped up a few folk.

mb

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:07 am

Hi all
It look like with all the help I resived we got the children for John and Margaret and thir parents. =D>
John's parents William Ferguson and Isobella Forrest was marrid 4 Jun 1837 at Shotts, Lanark. William had died when John married in 1865,
and had been a Master Baker. On Sp I found a will for a William Ferguson 17.3.1864 - baker in Mauchlin. Where is Mauchlin :?: -could it posible be him.
By the time I found it my SP credit had got O:) and taken flight so better now a bit moare before i spend the 5/10 pound as there is 2 bits to it.
Thanks Heidi :wink:

My brother computer does not have Google Earth so I can't google it :(

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:53 am

Definitely not your William as Isabella married James Downie in 1844.

Here they are in 1851 at New Monkland -

James Dowinie 32 Spirit Dealer and P2 (ancestry) Baker
Isabella Dowinie 35 born Bixerton, :? Lanark (later census records show Whitburn, Midlothian)
John Ferguson 13 born Strots, :D Lanark
Flora Dowine 4
Christina Watson 18
Janet Watt 16

I'll let you find them for youself in 1841 at FREECEN. Look for Isabela (one l) Ferguson born 1816. They are living at New Monkland.

You'll find another Dunoon connection with Isabella's death in 1893.

Regards,
Annette

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:39 am

nelmit wrote:Definitely not your William as Isabella married James Downie in 1844.

Here they are in 1851 at New Monkland -

James Dowinie 32 Spirit Dealer and P2 (ancestry) Baker
Isabella Dowinie 35 born Bixerton, :? Lanark (later census records show Whitburn, Midlothian)
John Ferguson 13 born Strots, :D Lanark
Flora Dowine 4
Christina Watson 18
Janet Watt 16

I'll let you find them for youself in 1841 at FREECEN. Look for Isabela (one l) Ferguson born 1816. They are living at New Monkland.

You'll find another Dunoon connection with Isabella's death in 1893.
Regards,
Annette
Hi Annette
Thankyou for all thise :D found the 1841 free cencus - got on SP and got the 1851 cencus and Isabellas death cert. - lovely information on it . But now I am a little :? it says "Widow of John Ferguson, Baker and 2nd James Downie Inn Keeper." John was her son and William was her first husband
I belive. Her father is Thomas Forrest. And a little bonus present at her death was Margaret Ferguson my GGGrandmother.
Looked up James and Isabella's marridge - their names is on the page 1 Jan 1844 but it looks a little like the church accounts?

Mother has made coffee -will be back
Thanks Heidi

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:15 am

I wouldn't worry too much about Margaret registering Isabella's first husband as John if everything else matches.

I've just noticed my mistake when giving Isabella's birthplace on later census records - it should be Whitburn, West Lothian (or Linlithgow).

Regards,
Annette

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:56 am

Heidihei wrote:Looked up James and Isabella's marridge - their names is on the page 1 Jan 1844 but it looks a little like the church accounts?
Hi Heidi,

It is quite common for pages from the Parochial Registers (which became the OPRs) to be accounts documents. The downside of that is that it usually means you get the minimum of useful information for your research.

All the best,

AndrewP

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:53 am

Hi Andrew
Thanks - in the meantime I picked up an other "church acount" - :roll: thise time for the death of William Ferguson 1.5.1842 -and I can't be sure it is him as no information a name and the nr 6. in the expenses in followed by 2 and a half colums od funds distributed. Both papers come from "Airdrie or New Monkland" :? Thanks Heidi

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Hello Heidi,

There’s a death notice in the Glasgow Herald, Monday, November 6, 1893.

DEATHS.
FERGUSON.—At Cambridge Villa, Dunoon, on the 3d inst., aged 79, Isabella Downie (mother of John Ferguson, Lancaster Terrace, Glasgow). —Friends will please accept this (the only) intimation.
[DOD looks a bit like 3d but is unclear]

You’ll find it easily in the newspapers by searching for Isabella Downie.

If you’re looking for OPR Deaths and haven’t done so before make sure that you read this page http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Conte ... r=554&1353

Alan

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Heidihei wrote:........much snipped .............

........... and Isabellas death cert. - lovely information on it . But now I am a little :? it says "Widow of John Ferguson, Baker and 2nd James Downie Inn Keeper." John was her son and William was her first husband I belive. Her father is Thomas Forrest. And a little bonus present at her death was Margaret Ferguson my GGGrandmother.
.......snipped..........
Heidi

Who was the informant on the death register entry?

mb