Unmarried mother home or Convent in Bishopton

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

marymild

Re: Unmarried mother home or Convent in Bishopton

Post by marymild » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:57 am

I was an unmarried mother in the convent of the Good Shepherd in 1971.
I can assure anyone who is interested it was not like the magdalene Sisters. Anyone who would like more information please let me know. marymild Sydney Australia.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:37 am

Hi Mary

Welcome to Talking Scot. Thank you so much for offering to share your knowledge of that institution with others. I'm sure it will be very helpful.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

roseconnelly

Post by roseconnelly » Fri May 13, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Mary

I also was an unmarried Mum at 16 in the Good Shepherd Convent from June 1969 until 4th January 1970 the Mother and Baby unit was called 'St Gerard's'
At first I was really homesick but had regular visits from my family but the Nuns were really lovely and supportive they even used to have a cooked meal ready for one of my brothers who visited twice a week after I left I felt sad because I had made so many friends there it's a shame I didn't keep in touch with them
I was fortunate my Mum and Dad adopted my Son and he has turned into a very successful nice young man

Rose Coatbridge

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Fri May 13, 2011 8:16 pm

Greetings Rose.

Welcome to TalkingScot from one who, for a period, was an Adoption Support member.

It is great you and Mary have offered to share, with those who wish to know more of the period, and the institutional care provided. As the period of your memories involve the living, may I suggest when it comes to naming FULL names that information be exchanged through the PM [private message] system. You will find the PM icon under the poster's details to the right of the post of interest. The system used is similar to posting on the public forum.

Alan SHARP.

scotia

Post by scotia » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 pm

At the main entrance, on the right hand side was the building for unmarried mother's, walk pass that and right ahead you will see a long building as you go in the main doors on the left was the approved school, going through the doors on the right was St Euphrasia's Training Centre (many called the convent) they were all run by the nun's. St Euphrasia's Training Centre and the Approved school, were always locked to stop runaway's.
------------------
http://wikimapia.org/2362731/Bishopton

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:45 am

Hello Scotia,

Wikimapia looks interesting, it’s handy the way you can highlight areas. I don’t think I’ve seen it before.

There’s a mention in the Glasgow Herald, Dec 1, 1954.
“An approved school for girls was opened there last year and a home for unmarried mothers will be opened in the near future. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ND ... herd&hl=en

All the best,
Alan

robertsons

Post by robertsons » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:00 am

st gerards home for unmarried mothers.in 1974 i was there for 4mths aged 15, till i had my son.there was a big building for doing laundry for hotels and i worked in there monday to thursday putting sheets through a massive press for the princely sum of 30pence an hour!two nuns rans the place,sister gertrude and sister catherine.a lady came in from bishopton to cook.the big convent for "bad" girls was further down the drive.we were taken for a walk and the statue of a girl stabbed 20 times rather than let a man take her virtue was pointed out to us!it was hard work,we had a portion of the convent each to clean as well as work in the laundry,and we did our rooms,4 girls to a room,on a friday.all wooden floors throughout,water marks had to be scrubbed off with a wire brush,floor was polished on hands and knees.i met some lovely girls there.some very very sad stories.the girl who had twins the same day as i had my son came back from the hospital without them and then went home to england.i fought to keep my son,hes now 36 and a father to 3 fantastic children.i will never forget st gerards and the poor girls who had their babies taken from them.out of perhaps 30 girls there at the time,only 3 of us kept our babies.we were the lucky ones.

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:01 am

Robertsons
What a sad tale you told. Unfortunately back even in the 70's those things were happening to unmarried girls with babies.
Fortunately we have improved now, he says with fingers crossed. Unfortunately my profession was heavily involved in what was happening back then, and we have changed our practice. I am so glad that you managed to keep your son and are now a grannie :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

sharriegi

Post by sharriegi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:08 am

Hi I was there 89 they changed the name in 85 I am writing a book and would love to talk to you all especially marymild. I had a wonderful experience and as a direct result gained a law degree... please contact me

StewL

Post by StewL » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 am

[TS_welcome]
Hello Sharriegi
I am sure someone will come across and contact you regarding this topic.
This is a great site with lots of very helpful members.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson