Dawson Gascoigne: Northumberland to Durham to Victoria, Au

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Dawson Gascoigne: Northumberland to Durham to Victoria, Au

Post by SarahND » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Hello all,
I don't know whether to put this one under England or Australia, since it bounces back and forth and I have questions in both places. With such an unusual name, he's pretty easy to find, but there are a few unanswered questions in his life, nonetheless.

Dawson Gascoigne (sometimes Gascoine or Gaskin) was born, according to the censuses, any time between 1833 - 1836, probably in Earsdon, Northumberland, but some records say "Halliwell" (which I assume is Holywell, near Earsdon).

In 1841 he is with his family in Chester-le-Street, Durham, all born outside the census county.

In 1851 they are living in Murton Colliery, Easington, Durham, all coal miners.

In 1861 we find them in Ryhope, Durham, first on the page the household of Dawson's brother James, with their widowed mother also in residence, then, in the same house or next door, Dawson as head, with a wee daughter Mary Gascoigne, age 4, born Hetton-le-Hole, Durham. He is listed as married, but no wife in sight, nor can I find a marriage for him.

On 11 July 1865 Dawson, having aged a few years according to the passenger list, arrives in Melbourne from Liverpool on the Ocean Empress.

In February 1872 he marries Josephine Boland in Ballarat, Victoria and claims he is a bachelor at the time. (Josephine was born in Bolton, Durham, so they might possibly have known each other before, but she is too young to have been Mary's mother.)
One child, Quinton John Boland Gascoigne, is born in 1873.

By 1881 Dawson is back working as a well sinker, in Brotton, Yorkshire and "unmarried" :?
In 1887 he dies in Durham.

As far as I can tell, Josephine and young Quinton go on living happily without him in Victoria.

Question: Would there be any divorce records that early, assuming he did actually divorce? Or any record of a legal separation?
Possibly the distances involved just allowed such as he to disappear into another world, only seen "on one page" now by us, in a general search. :roll:

Back to his daughter Mary, whose line I am trying to trace:
In 1871, when her father was in Australia, she is found as Mary Gaskin in Ryhope, Durham, as a domestic servant in the Green family.

In 1873 she marries John Harron in Gateshead District, Durham. From then on I have her clearly until her death.

The problem is, I can't find her birth and don't suppose that her mother's name would be on the marriage cert, since normally only the father's name is given in England.

Since I can't find a marriage for Dawson, I have no clue who the mother might be. Quite a few Mary's born around the right time and place!

Any ideas?

All the best,
Sarah

P.S. Yes, I realize from googling that there was a famous cricket player named Dawson Gascoigne Harron, born in Durham, who is undoubtedly a relative of these people somehow, but I haven't yet figured out how - it's obviously a few more generations down the road.

trish1

Re: Dawson Gascoigne: Northumberland to Durham to Victoria, Au

Post by trish1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:39 am

Until 1976 all Australian divorces were handled by the states. Indexes to early victorian divorces are online in a number of pdf files. I'll look for the link - but I downloaded the files some time ago & looking at my copy for 1861-1884 there is no sign of your couple (there are only about 25 listed with name starting with G). I haven't checked later files.

Here is the link http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/publications ... 335-P0.asp

I'll see if I can find anything else of use from Vic records

Trish

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:24 am

Not finding very much - Ballarat or Bendigo local history societies may have some information - I haven't checked the newspapers yet - may be useful
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Immigration for Josephine
BOLAND JOSEPHINE 20 FEB 1870 LADY JOCELYN B 291 003
rest of the family on board
BOLAND ANDREW 23
BOLAND MARY 55
BOLAND MARY 8
BOLAND THOMAS 16

There is a 28 year old George Gascoigne on board with Dawson in 1865
Dawson is somewhat older than his bride based on the shipping ages

1896 Quentin Jno Boland GASCOYNE married Rosena Jane RANDLES at Bendigo ref 7342R
1899 had a child Wm Jas Renant at Bendigo

I can find no further trace (at the minute) of Josephine, Quentin or Rosena - wonder if they went to the UK?

I have to head for the airport - a relative attempting to return to London for Christmas - He may have a snow delayed trip. I'll see if I can find anything else this evening (in my time)

Trish

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks for looking, Trish :D
trish1 wrote: There is a 28 year old George Gascoigne on board with Dawson in 1865
Dawson is somewhat older than his bride based on the shipping ages
The ages do seem to be all over the place on those passenger lists. Dawson is listed as 38, although he should have been more like 29 or 30. He had a brother George who was about 10 years OLDER than him… I wonder if the ages got switched between the two on the list?

I did look for newspaper articles and didn't find much. Would there have been a mention at that time of people who were leaving, as well as those arriving? Unfortunately, the UK arrivals database doesn't appear to have records early enough.
trish1 wrote: I can find no further trace (at the minute) of Josephine, Quentin or Rosena - wonder if they went to the UK?
Someone's family tree on Ancestry says that Quintin died in Eaglehawk, Victoria in 1903. The citation in the Australia Death Index on Ancestry is certainly odd! I'm still puzzling how you get "Renouf Nichs" from Dawson Gascoigne :?

Name: Ouintin Jno Boland Renout
Death Place: Eaglehawk, Victoria
Father's name: Renouf Nichs
Mother's name: Josine Boland
Registration Year: 1903
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Number: 1436

Looks like Rosena remarried in 1908:

Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1949
Name: Jno Adams Castree
Spouse Name: Jane Rosena Gascoyne
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1908
Registration Number: 7044

Thanks for your help,
Sarah

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi Sarah

Reversed ages is quite possible - when my gg grandfather and his brother arrived together their ages were reversed.

I didn't find those BDM records - no idea why not - I'll have another check on my cds

There are lists of people returning from Victoria (not other states that I know of) but I didn't see them - here is the link - perhaps I am not using enough wild cards

http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/publi ... ide023.jsp = under passenger lists - outwards from Victoria

Trish

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Hello All,

John Adam Castree died 1932 and is buried in Bendigo Cemetery. Rosina Jane died 1954 and is buried with her husband. Quintin died at Eaglehawk and the cemetery there is also administered by Bendigo Cemeteries Trust. He’s probably buried at Eaglehawk but under what name? http://www.bencemtrust.com.au/search.asp

Alan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks for those, Alan.

Trish, I couldn't find Dawson on the outbound passenger lists either-- who knows how he was registered?

I'm currently going under the assumption that the ages were accidentally reversed. I could believe they simply got the ages wrong, or were given the wrong ages by the passengers, but it is a bit odd that the brothers would have just swapped ages on purpose.

Regards,
Sarah

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Sarah,

You've got a doozy going here!

Re: Quentin

On his marriage you have him as Quentin Jno Boland Gascoyne. On his death, he is Quintin Jno Boland Renout. Could it be that Josephine/Josine remarried after Dawson returned to the UK making her new last name Renout. Also, on the death cert. Renouf could be Renout. No idea on Nichs, but it would be interesting to see the original.

I had a similiar confusion over the mother's name on an AU cert. with one of my Ririe's. Never did really figure out what was going on but the son on the cert had two different last names at two different times. I was thinking this was a registration format that I was just unfamiliar with.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Nicholas Renalt is on the 1914 voter registration for Bendigo on Ancestry.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:08 pm

speleobat2 wrote: On his marriage you have him as Quentin Jno Boland Gascoyne. On his death, he is Quintin Jno Boland Renout. Could it be that Josephine/Josine remarried after Dawson returned to the UK making her new last name Renout.
Good point, Carol! That sounds highly possible, although I don't see the marriage. It would make sense though, if she at least remarried after Dawson had finally died in 1887. She would only have been 39 at that point. I don't imagine Dawson endeared himself to his wife and son when he abandoned them and the son may have decided to go with his step-father's name.

Regards,
Sarah