(Bandirran) KETTINS, ANGUS MIs

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

phislop

(Bandirran) KETTINS, ANGUS MIs

Post by phislop » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi, I have just recently found my family in Kettins, Angus and wondered if there were any MI indexes for that area. Unfortunately I do not know what cemetery they may be buried in.
The details are:
Alexander POWRIE - alive in 1861 (aged 77) cannot be found in 1871
Betsy/Elizabeth (possibly BAXTER), his wife, alive in 1851 aged 72yrs - not in 1861.
Alexander's last known address is in 1871 - Bandirran Wright's Ho (use?).... , Kettins, ANGUS
They were also in Bandirran in 1851.
Any hints or advise received with open arms :D

Currie

Re: (Bandirran) KETTINS, ANGUS MIs

Post by Currie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:26 am

Hello Phislop,

There’s information about Kettins churchyard MI’s here. I think MI’s are most often pre 1855. http://www.ancestor.abel.co.uk/Angus/Kettins.html#mi

The ones compiled by Sidney Cramer at NAS are microfilm and also available from LDS Church Family History centres. It seems there may be some later material. Search for Kettins here http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

You can read up about Kettins in the New Statistical Account. Bandirran is detached, I’m not sure how that’s defined exactly but probably in the next County. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=vHg ... J&pg=PA641

Here’s Kettins strangely shaped churchyard from overhead http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=56.537 ... ORM=LMLTCC

And here's the sharp end from the road
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... 39,,1,7.45

Hope that helps,
Alan

annie1

Post by annie1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi,

I dont know if I can be of much help, as Alan has given you some good links there for Kettins, but I am interested to know about the Bandirran that you mention, I know of Bandirran Estate, and have just finished reading about it, it lies in the Parish of Collace, Perthshire.
Maybe Bandirran was simply the name of the cottage in Kettins, but you never know.
Have you tried Scotlandspeople for Alexander's death?

Ann
Working on
Rust, Brown & Reid, Aberdeen
Knowles, Murray,Stephen& Mackie, Kincardine
Doig, Reid, Wilson & Keddie, Fife

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi phislop,

The detached part of Kettins parish was described as follows in the book "Boundaries of the Counties and Parishes in Scotland" by Hay Shennan.
  • 13. County of Perth
    I. County Boundaries
    A. With the County of Forfar
    5. Kettins

The parish of Kettins had a detached part which was also a detached part of the county of Forfar. It was situated at Bandirran, and adjoined by the Perthshire parishes of Collace, Kinnaird, and St Martins, and a detached part of Caputh. By the order printed at p.38 this detached part has been transferred to the parish of Collace and the county of Perth.

The following subjects have thus been transferred from the county of Forfar to the county of Perth (and at the same time from the parish of Kettins to the parish of Collace):-

Code: Select all

PLACE.                DESCRIPTION.                    PROPRIETOR.
    Estate of Bandirran--
      Bandirran,         Mansion-house, garden, policies,    Trustee for  W. M. Mac-
                           servants' houses, grass parks,      donald of St. Martins.
                           and woodlands
        Do.              Pendicle, houses, and land                     Do.
      Mill, Bandirran,   Farm                                           Do.
      East Bank Park,                                                   Do.

(Sheet 48 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)
The book was written by the Secretary to the Boundary Commissioners in 1892. The boundaries of parishes and counties in Scotland were being revised to try and do away with detached parts of parishes and counties, as part of the requirements of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889. Most of these changes took place on 15th May 1891.

All the best,

AndrewP

phislop

Post by phislop » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:54 am

Hi,
Many, many thanks for all the assistance and advice re my query.
Have managed to move forward and found that Alexander died at Bandirran in 1875. Major achievement. Thanks :D

lorre

Post by lorre » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi Phislop,

I know it's been a while, but did you sort your Powrie line in Collace/Bandirran and find Alex & Betsy's children? They were Margaret Purrie bap 17/08/1811, John Purie bap 11/09/1813 and Elizabeth Purrie Bap. 20/10/1815 all baptisims in Crieff, Perth. And in case you didn't find thir marriage the details are
Banns read 29/11/1806 in Muthill, Perth between Alexander Purie and Betty Baxter and the marriage took place in Collace, Perth on 2/12/1806 between Alexander Pourie and Elizabeth Baxter [cheers]

phislop

Post by phislop » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:15 am

Hi Lorre,
Thank you so very much for the additional information. All the dates & names (except the marriage) were new to me.
Interesting to see a daughter Elizabeth born/chr 1815.
I wonder if I am right in assuming (dangerous) that Betty/Betsy is definitely a daughter and older sibling of Elizabeth. Betty/Betsy's age was consistent in all the Census records as born c 1810 in Kinnoul, Perthshire.
She was living Village of Balbeggie, Kinnoul in 1841 and then Bandirran (various), Kettins (with her father).
Alexander and Betsy, as you verified, married in 1806 so my guess would be there were other children possibly in another parish? I will keep looking.
Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

StewL

Post by StewL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:37 am

Hi Phislop
Don't be surprised if you don't find any more lang deid yin's. I have the same in a couple of my lines, it was prior to compulsory registration, so many didn't bother, or the kirk records may have been lost in time.
But on the bright side, you could be very lucky and find them. Try doing a parent search in IGI without a county, that may have them popping up all around the place :)
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

phislop

Post by phislop » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:13 am

Stewie,
You are so right - did exactly what you suggested as soon as I'd replied to the last response and found a daughter, probably the first child, in Scone, Perthshire in 1807. Unfortunately no others appeared.

Bandirran16

Post by Bandirran16 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:25 am

Looking for further information on Elizabeth Powrie baptized in Crieff on 20 Oct 1815. Daughter to Alex Purrie and Betty Baxter.
Have found her married to Henry Robertson on 18 May 1834 in Kettins, Angus, Scotland. Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910. First child James Robertson born about 1835 in Angus. Second child, Ann, born 14 March 1837, baptized 02 Apr 1837 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland Scotland Birth & Baptisms, 1564-1950. Believe there was a third child but have found no record of birth or death. Assuming perhaps both died in childbirth according to family lore.
Henry married his second wife, Mary Roy on 14 Mar 1840 in Coupar Angus, Dundee, Scotland. On 1841 Scottish Census HenryRobertson, M 20 Joiner Jrnymn, Mary R Robertson F 15, James Robertson, M 6, and Ann Robertson F 4 are all listed as living in Coupar- Angus- Angus on Cotton Street. Between then and 1843 they all emigrated to Canada where their second child, Madeline Robertson was born in 1843. Their oldest child, a son died on the ship coming from Scotland and was buried at sea. I would really like to find what did happen to Elizabeth and would asppreciaste any assistance.