Adam Macgregor Dick

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Margaret

Adam Macgregor Dick

Post by Margaret » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:55 am

I am hoping to find some family of Adam Mcgregor Dick son of Sarah Calderwood Macgregor and Douglas Dick of Kilmarnock Scotland. Adam was born about 1902 and had a brother Mathew, Adam married Elizabeth Forrester Miller they did not have any children and Adam married Mary Morrow and Margaret Silver Turnbull I believe that Mary and Mathew had 3 children. they had a well known Motor repairs call Dick Brothers in Kilmarnock in the 50/60's. Would love to hear from anyone who is connected to this family.
Cheers Margaret :)
Cheers
Margaret
researching:: Morton, Miller, Finlay, McDonald, Bullock, Forrester. Glasgow and Kilmarnock areas

Currie

Re: Adam Macgregor Dick

Post by Currie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:23 am

Hello Margaret,

There are a few newspaper articles for this fellow.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22adam ... gws_rd=ssl

and

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22adam ... gws_rd=ssl

Death notice in the Glasgow Herald
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ZZ ... %2C6020430

All the best,
Alan
Last edited by Currie on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 am

Hi Currie
Yes he was a really well known man, and was the owner of a 1903 Rolls Royce which has a long history to it. I am trying to trace my cousins on Adam's family as I would like to talk to them about the car. I have always known him as Adam McGregor Dick but in Ancestry they have it as Macgregor so thought I would try that.
Once again thanks for the help :)
cheers
Margaret
Cheers
Margaret
researching:: Morton, Miller, Finlay, McDonald, Bullock, Forrester. Glasgow and Kilmarnock areas

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:57 am

Me again Allan
Thanks again just had a look at the newspaper articals some of which I haven't seen, will be good to put in my family tree.
cheers
Margaret
Cheers
Margaret

momat

Post by momat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:35 am

Hello Margaret,
There is someone called Susan on http://www.genesreunited.co.nz/home/index
WIth posting for a Douglas , Adam and a Matthew Dick who may be connected.
Could be more names on there of interest.
Maureen

SarahF

Post by SarahF » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:08 am

Hi Margaret

I was trawling the internet for information on the 1905 Rolls Royce you mention (familiarly known as "the old girl") and came across your post. Bess and Adam Dick were my great aunt and uncle - Bess was one of my grandmother's sisters. I only met Uncle Adam once, as a very young child of around 3 or 4 years old; they came to visit us in our house in Wellington NZ, and my very clear memory is of a tall Scotsman wearing a kilt - I hid under the bedclothes in complete terror! Later, in 1978 when I was 14, my father and I stayed with Aunty Bess at "Roy Roy" in Kilmarnock for a week or so - Uncle Adam had passed away a few years earlier so unfortunately I never got to meet him again.

Regards
Sarah Francis
Far North Queensland

StewL

Post by StewL » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:04 am

Hello SarahF
[TS_welcome]
The previous posters to this thread should receive an email notifying of your post.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:22 am

SarahF wrote:Hi Margaret

I was trawling the internet for information on the 1905 Rolls Royce you mention (familiarly known as "the old girl") and came across your post. Bess and Adam Dick were my great aunt and uncle - Bess was one of my grandmother's sisters. I only met Uncle Adam once, as a very young child of around 3 or 4 years old; they came to visit us in our house in Wellington NZ, and my very clear memory is of a tall Scotsman wearing a kilt - I hid under the bedclothes in complete terror! Later, in 1978 when I was 14, my father and I stayed with Aunty Bess at "Roy Roy" in Kilmarnock for a week or so - Uncle Adam had passed away a few years earlier so unfortunately I never got to meet him again.

Regards
Sarah Francis
Far North Queensland
Hello Sarah
What a small world we live in, your other Great Aunt was my Mum Margaret (Aunty Maude) who lived in Gisborne your Grandmothers twin sister. Sorry I haven't got back to you but have had big computer problems, now have new one so all should be good from here on in.
I will see if I can send you a private post with my email address and will tell you all about the Old girl and where she is now, it has been quite a adventure getting her back to Scotland.
cheers
Margaret
Cheers
Margaret

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:46 am

:( Sorry Sarah tried to send Private message but it just kept telling me I couldn't send....I think you should be able to find my yahoo address here on Talking Scot
cheers
Margaret :D
Cheers
Margaret

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:48 am

momat wrote:Hello Margaret,
There is someone called Susan on http://www.genesreunited.co.nz/home/index
WIth posting for a Douglas , Adam and a Matthew Dick who may be connected.
Could be more names on there of interest.
Hi Maureen
Thanks for you help I am about to go and check out the Douglas's hopefully will find some good things there
cheers
Margaret
Cheers
Margaret