cambridge gdns dunoon argyll

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

cathy52

cambridge gdns dunoon argyll

Post by cathy52 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:53 am

hi i am looking for a place in dunoon its cambridge gardens in dunoon,i have looked in the maps but cant seem to find it hope someone can help. :D

AnneM
Global Moderator

Re: cambridge gdns dunoon argyll

Post by AnneM » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi Cathy,

I was born and brought up there but have not heard of that street. What kind of record does it come from and what was the timeframe? I can ask my mother if she has heard of it. Gardens as a street descriptor in Dunoon is fairly unusual but maybe it was a street which has since been demolished.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:27 am

There is a Cambridge Villa on Alfred Street in the town - an old victorian house now split into 2 flats.

It could well be the name of a house [or row of houses] rather than a street you are looking for.
Sometimes a street can contain many 'mini-streets' of groups of buildings with a separate address within it, esp if we are talking of the large Victorian buildings that were popular in Dunoon in it's height of elegance.

Many of the street names had royal Victorian connotations [Queen, Victoria, Alfred, Royal etc] and there is still an Eton & Oxford off Pilot Street - that sounds a likely place to look on old maps :idea:

As Anne said an idea of the time and context will help us track it down.
Wilma

cathy52

Post by cathy52 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:26 am

hi anne and wilma the year was 1963,and the form was a application for a british seamans card.i have sent you a pm anne with more info.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:55 am

I took a google around the area off Pilot street and compared it to old maps.
Eton Avenue has one side of substantial stone houses and some modern [1970/80?] semi & terraced houses, Oxford Lane is just a path leading to some cottages/bungalows.
However the land between Oxford lane, Eton Avenue and Pilot Street is just grass, with evidence of a stone wall and gate posts.

The older maps I looked at on NLS [1950/60] have a building marked on that side of the road but I can't find any maps with sufficient scale to make it any clearer or to find most names for the smaller streets.

Perhaps there's an older street map out there or Anne do you know that area?
Wilma

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Sorry, I don't know that area. I will ask my mother next time I speak to her if she has heard of it.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:47 pm

I found this on Rootsweb:
I discovered a relative on the 1901 census for the parish of Dunoon &
Kilmun was a gardener and his residence was CAMBRIDGE (Gdns.?) Glebe.
in 2009 and no answer.
But the next street along from Eton & Oxford is Glebe Avenue and 1 up is Manse Ave, so I think I'm in the right area.
As the map for the mid 1800's shows a manse and just field in that area - presumably the 'Glebe'.
Wilma

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:45 am

If it is related to the church glebe lands, then possibly there may be information in the Kirk Session Minutes??

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:25 am

Some Cambridge Dunoon odds and ends from the Scottish newspapers.

1860 – house for sale, Cambridge Terrace, St. Andrew's Street, Dunoon. Quarter acre of ground tastefully laid off as a garden.

1875 – Same property for sale again, includes large fruit garden.

1885 – contact address for lease of apartment in Victoria Road, Dunoon, given as 14 Cambridge Street.

1886 – Sale of house furniture at Cambridge Cottage, Manse Road, Dunoon.

Some references in the Daily Record, 1915. Someone named Higgins appears to be living at No.3. (Also available via FMP.) Maybe it's possible to pin that person down in 1911, there's not many in Dunoon by that name. http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.u ... y%2brecord

Alan

cathy52

Post by cathy52 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:49 am

thanks everyone for your help [cheers]