Unmarried mother home or Convent in Bishopton

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

molly56

Re: Unmarried mother home or Convent in Bishopton

Post by molly56 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:56 am

Hi all I was an unmarried mother in st gerards in april-may-june 1977 there was a lot of girls in my situation I remember a big wooden staircase we had to polish I gave birth to a son and only went back for personal things I would love to hear from anyone who was there at that time x

StewL

Post by StewL » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Hello Molly
[TS_welcome]
I am sure your input will be welcomed on the forum.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

molly56

Post by molly56 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:35 pm

i dnt remember st gerards being anything like the magdeline sisters they were good to us girls maybe the odd 1 looked down on u but the rest were nice O:)

pat1936

Post by pat1936 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:57 am

Hi has anyone had an auntie or grandmother who may have been in St Gerards as far back as 1936 as im hitting a brick wall and being pasted from pillar to post trying to find out about this place ! ! My Gran was brought her when she was pregant with my mum in march 1936 but i m being told it did nt exsist before 1956 , 20 years after my gran was there ! ! I also phoned the god shepards and got told it was called the Open school but this was closed for several years before the god shepards took over . ](*,) if anyone can help i would love to here back from . Thanks Joe

pat1936

Post by pat1936 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi . Was St Gerrards in Bishopton as i ve just been informed that it was in Glasgow near St Aloysius Chapel in Garnethill or did they have more than one mother and babyunit .

roxyanne

Post by roxyanne » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:41 pm

I was at st euphrasis training centre in 1963 till 1965 and I loved my time there learned to play violin and cello mary madelene was my house mother I was in st ians house when I left I went into nursing something I would not have done if I had not went there I have heard so many stories about the place one about a punishment cell where girls were stripped naked and left for up to 48 hrs I would like to know where this room was because I never in all my time there seen any one punished that way unless it was in the approved school section because not in training centre I also went on to become a child of mary the nuns were great to me I also worked in the laundry and I loved to hear the music in there it was the best place in the world and iam a better person for being there so thanks to all the nuns who gave me a great chance in life

StewL

Post by StewL » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:46 am

Hello Roxyanne
[TS_welcome]
Your input will be most welcome, and it is also good to see a positive response to previous posts, sometime memories play tricks on us, and things can get mixed up, in our recollections, it has happened to all of us.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

gordo123

Post by gordo123 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:52 am

Hi
I have posted info about my experience at St Euphrasia's Training Centre when Mother Patricia was there and I was in St Andrew's House and remember Miss Margaret our House Mistress. The nuns and House Mistresses were good people and I always remember Mother Patricia saying 'Its not on, in a very Irish accent, it was quite funny. She was a very good leader.
I was approx 13 years old then and it would have been around d 1971. I came down from Aberdeen and met some great girls from the Glasgow area. I would love to make contact with them and wondered if a reunion could be arranged. I don't want to mention names as I don't know if they would mind but can't see any hard in first names.
I also learnt some great skills there and it was also very emotionally hard times as I was upset being away from my family like lots of others. Miss Margaret was good yo me and our HeD nun for St. Andrew's was Mother Sylvester, who I bumped into in the Main Street of Aberdeen many years later. I used to travel home for weekends end then returned to my family when situation had settled. I remember mother Martin and mother Gerard and many others who have been mentioned. I am amazed as I never seen any babies and was totally oblivious to mums and babies.
I also remember the teacher and working in the laundry, embroidery and having dances in a large hall. I remember lots of the girls names, Maria, Margaret, Catriona and like I said I think I would be ok to mention first names. I met a friend from New a style and her nick name was shadow. I also met a good friend Mary from Glasgow and her mum would hand in parcels for me as my family couldn't visit as so far away and I always remember that. Such kindness and a tough job. I remember going to swimming baths in Greenock in a mini bus. Oh me, taking me back a bit in time. I am now a mother of three sons and a grandmother of three Granddaughters. My first name is Ally short for Alison.

gordo123

Post by gordo123 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:02 am

Fresher wrote:
sharriegi wrote:Please can all ladies who were residents at the home please contact me asap, especially those who remember mother rosaria and mother martin, even if you dont remember these nuns and were ther 1970 - 1971 or just before and after contact me please
I had my daughter there in January 1972. I stayed for a few weeks afterwards and they helped to find accommodation in Govan in Glasgow where I could be with my daughter.
I would want to find out more about how the girls and nuns I met when I was at St Euphrasia's
. There seems to of been two sections and girls there fir various reasons. I don't know how to work this site to JL k up ad I think a reunion or a forum with people who were there around the same time would be good.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:43 am

Hi Ally (gordo123)
This thread has stimulated so much interest and, sometimes, conflicting memories. It has been very enlightening for me, and obviously many others.
I wonder whether your idea of a get together could be organised using the PM (Personal Message) button beside each contributors name on the right of their post(s). That way personal details could be exchanged in confidence.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny