DNA Testing

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

mrsgirl

DNA Testing

Post by mrsgirl » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi

I have recently heard about DNA testing with regards to Geanology with both Maternal and Paternal results. I am quite interested in giving this a go and finding out more information. Is their a website that I can be directed to that would give me more information on reputable companies doing this sort of testing?

StewL

Re: DNA Testing

Post by StewL » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:38 am

Hello Mrsgirl
[TS_welcome]
My understanding is that there are a few sites that provide this service, including Ancestry.com. Although this in no way should it be seen that I am endorsing one over the other, and also, it is not cheap, and I really don't know how good the service is as I haven't used it.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: DNA Testing

Post by SarahND » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Hello mrsgirl,

Have a look at the Wiki for the International Society of Genetic Genealogy: http://isogg.org/wiki/Wiki_Welcome_Page

There are comparison charts for various tests and various companies as well as explanations for the different types of tests. Depending on where you live and what sort of information you are looking for, the recommended company may change. I have tested with both Family Tree DNA and AncestryDNA and they each have strengths and weaknesses. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge and experience.

Best wishes
Sarah