Parents of Charles Broadfoot

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish1

Parents of Charles Broadfoot

Post by trish1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:12 pm

I have an 1872 Birth Charles Broadfoot Milwain - shows Agnes Milwain, domestic servant as his mother. At his marriage he dropped the Milwain from his name

Of interest is the location of the birth - High Balcray, Whithorn, WIgtownshire. There is a Charles Broadfoot & various family members on a farm of this name/location in 1871 Census - not so far from where the Agnes I think was his mother, is living, in service to a local Free Church Minister. This Charles Broadfoot never married - but he did have at least one child that he recognised - and who was his heir - the daughter of another domestic servant. As far as I know he didn't acknowledge Charles Jnr nor did the latter mention his father on his marriage certificate.

Charles Jnr appears to have been raised by a relative of his mother (from 1881,91 census records), who I think moved to England where she married & had a family. Charles remained in Scotland. Would there be any other records that may provide additional information about his parents? He named his only son John - also the name of the relative he was living with in 1881. His 2nd daughter was named for John's wife.

thanks

Trish

WilmaM

Re: Parents of Charles Broadfoot

Post by WilmaM » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:13 pm

I wonder if the Parish Records of the time would have more information?
Wilma

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:49 am

WilmaM wrote:I wonder if the Parish Records of the time would have more information?
Any idea how I can access them from Australia?

Spacot

Post by Spacot » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi, I know this reply is a bit out of date but you might still be struggling.
I know the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh have all the parish records for Scotland. They do have the Whithorn ones I have used them, I live in the Isle of Whithorn and am doing local history research on the area.
If you contact them with the dates around your ancesters birth they will quote you for copying them onto a disk and posting them, if they have stopped that facility their are many geneaologists in Edinburgh who advertise this sort of service.
Researching
SANSON anywhere, MCBAIN inverness/aberdeenshire/glasgow,
KELLY ireland/glasgow, BELL ireland/campsie/glasgow