Poke hat

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

dizzybint

Re: Poke hat

Post by dizzybint » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:30 pm

joette wrote:Are we talking Peter's cafe near to the Barrows? If we are oh the memories. :D :-({|=
there were two though joette , but not the one facing the Barras, the one just down the London Road a bit near Millroad st, ice cream to die for, oh just to tast it again.. I loved them scooping it out the big silver drums with the lids on them.. and used to dream of getting a family carton all to myself... I was just down that way yesterday taking photos of some old shops further along the London road.

Timbertown

Re: Re:

Post by Timbertown » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:23 am

Happy memories of the Capocci Ice Cream Van touring the streets of Blantyre where my Papa would be listeing out for that familiar tune. My Papa was a double nougat man and we kids all got a pokey hat. The ice cream was delicious and i can taste it now.

Have a look at this http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-wo ... am-1031199 an article published in 2009.

The Italians make the best ice cream ever.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:50 pm

I don't know if I've ever mentioned at this site that I am a primary school teacher (in Australia) and from time to time I share little bits about me, including that I'm Scottish and that my great hobby is family history (I've even presented my historical photos to them around a discussion of life back then).

Not long ago the students had an afternoon where they got to watch themselves in movies they'd created, and as a bit of fun I let them bring popcorn or other snacks for the event. Of course some didn't bring anything, but others were more than willing to share.

I didn't like the thought of their hands all going into the same bag (ew!), so I gave them a quick lesson in 'pokes' where I shared that my mum told me that was how the sweeties came from the sweetie shop, and I also told them about the ice cream reference as well. They were fascinated, and the wee pokes were a great success. Even those who didn't need one wanted me to make one for them. :D I felt a real sense of sharing history with these modern children, where never a thought goes to how things are made, and it was a very good day. :)
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

Bobbydem

Post by Bobbydem » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:48 am

We called them pokey hats. Our ice cream man was Capaldis, later joined by Gizzi Brothers...many an interesting chase we had for street entertainment between the two company vans. Our loyalty lay with Capaldis. You could buy anything off the van ranging from cigarettes, biscuits,crisps, bottles of pop ( penny back on the bottle) , pain killers such as aspirin and
askit powders( remember them?) ...oh yes..and ice cream, choice of flavour- vanilla or vanilla!! Threepenny pokes for my sister and I, wafers (or nougats on a pay day) for adults and always a penny pokey hat for the dog who recognised the tune heralding the van's arrival as well as we did. Later, Mr Whippy arrived on the scene and although it was magic to watch the ice cream appear in neat swirls it really didn't measure up to the round of ice cream plonked into your pokey hat with a bit of monkey blood (raspberry sauce) oozed over the top for the discerning customer. Happy days.

BrainA

Re:

Post by BrainA » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:22 am

apanderson wrote:Or if you were really posh - an oyster.

Wee shell shaped wafers filled with a wee drop of the special nougat filling, then their edges dipped in chocolate and toasted coconut. The poshness went right out the window though when you asked for a squirt of strawberry sauce on it!!

Can anybody remember if all this was in the days before 'Mr. Whippy' came along - or was that what started the 'ice-cream wars' :wink:

Anne
My earliest memory of 'Mr Whippy' ice cream is around 1960 (in Edinburgh). it was good, but not a patch on Luca's at Musselburgh (still there), Luca also had a van at North Berwick. The raspberry flavoured sauce has certainly changed over time, nowhere near as good as 'Days-of-Old'.

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:54 am

Definitely before Mr Whippy Ann
In hindsight it was a better tasting ice-cream, by the way, if you can only get strawberry Mr Whippy from van it is because the ice=cream is off, and they added flavouring to hide it, had friends who owned a few vans
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:44 pm

Took my wee granddaughter out to the van which frequents Knightswood Glasgow, for a pokey hat - definitely pokey hat. I asked for two with chocolate flake, raspberry and sprinkles. It being years since I purchased from a van, I asked somewhat diffidently if my £5 note would be enough. The reply was "Where d'you buy your icecream then, Jenners?" So the banters still good. :D

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:43 pm

BrainA 's comment about Luca's in Musselburgh being great brought back memories from fifty years ago when my teen years were spent there (when I could afford it !). Half a century later now my daughter stays there I sampled their wares (more than once to be sure :) ) and they do indeed make a superior variety of ice-cream both the pokey hat variety and the double nougat version. Mr Whippy wasn't ice-cream ! It was just a white "Slush"
Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:05 am

...and I'm sure it doesn't need to be said but, just for the sake of clarity, back in the day you asked for a double or single nugget. None of that fancy French stuff.

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:10 pm

That's when I was there, in '75 or '76. Mum used to send me out to get one or the other, lol. LOVED them!!! Nothing like them in Australia!
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)