Other Churches

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

Falkyrn

Other Churches

Post by Falkyrn » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:46 pm

With the recent added records from the "other" Presbyterian Churches SP appear to have hit a few problems with the County Boundaries -
The following Renfrewshire Churches are all listed under Lanarkshire

Paisley Reformed Presbyterian
Paisley George Street United Secession
Paisley Middle Free
Paisley Oakshaw East Assoc.

I have notified SP and they have acknowledged the error but state it may take them a while to correct the problem.
~RJ Paton~

Falkyrn

Re: Other Churches

Post by Falkyrn » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Still not sorted :roll:
~RJ Paton~

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi Falkyrn,

Under its previous operators, corrections normally took many months to appear online; sometimes over a year. I have no idea if the new operators can receive the corrections from NRS and implement them any quicker. GROS (now NRS) always planned for the correction process to be sped up, but I have seen no sign of it happening.

I have had a look through their county and parish dropdown lists. I saw another one that should be sorted out. There are two Musselburgh churches in the "other churches" list - one of them is indexed in Midlothian, the other is indexed in East Lothian. The problem for Musselburgh is which county it should be listed under - it is in Inveresk Parish, which transferred from Midlothian to East Lothian in May 1975, in the regionalisation process which followed the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973. As these records are pre-1855, Musselburgh was firmly in Midlothian at the time. However, some folk would argue that people think of Musselburgh as being in East Lothian, a that is where it as been for the last 42 years. One solution is to index it in both counties. A similar argument exists for West Calder, Midcalder, and Kirknewton & East Calder parishes which all transferred from Midlothian to West Lothian in 1975.

In times gone past, such new data sets used to be given to the ScotlandsPeople User Group to test before they went online. That is the type of thing that I used to check as part of my role with them. However, the User Group has not been asked for its input for a few years now. :(

All the best,

AndrewP

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks for the insight Andrew .... I can appreciate the quandary they have with boundaries which have moved over the years and would agree with you that dual entry would be best for all in those circumstances. There are two others I would add -the two Churches in Pollokshaws are listed under Renfrewshire but have been within the boundaries of Glasgow City since the annexation of the Burgh in 1912. (I don't think the good folk of Lanarkshire have harboured any notions of annexing Paisley although they did lose out in a few boundary changes - perhaps SP are privy to some government information that we lesser mortals aren't :- )
~RJ Paton~