School records?

Records from the Scottish Catholic Archives

Moderator: Global Moderators

Orlaith17

School records?

Post by Orlaith17 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:39 pm

I've been seeing discussions with people on another site who are a bit upset that their old schools have now been demolished. And there seems to be no records that they ever attended there. Discussion covered if education departments kept such records, or if the Catholic diocese might, as they were Catholic schools. Questions were asked if diocese kept a record of children who had made their first communion, but people hadn't been able to find any such records. I'm aware that as records some of the people are looking for are from 1960s/70's, they are probably covered by data protection. But question is do they exist at all? Do education authorities keep records of pupil names who attended schools in the authority? And do Catholic Church records include names of children who made their first communion in the different churches in the diocese? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Moray_Lass

Re: School records?

Post by Moray_Lass » Mon May 28, 2018 9:41 am

I know my local authority has the records for decommissioned schools my area - I access them on microfiche at the Moray Heritage Centre to look up when my Dad and Grandfather started the local primary school, was handy to check where they lived at that time. Those date from the 1910's and 1940's, the school closed 1965 (I think). So some exist, but I guess it depends on the authority
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:00 am

Thank you for that It's Dundee Tayside the person is after so I will pass this on and they can find out if similar exists there.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:49 am

Orlaith17 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:39 pm
'... Questions were asked if diocese kept a record of children who had made their first communion, but people hadn't been able to find any such records. I'm aware that as records some of the people are looking for are from 1960s/70's, they are probably covered by data protection. But question is do they exist at all? Do education authorities keep records of pupil names who attended schools in the authority? And do Catholic Church records include names of children who made their first communion in the different churches in the diocese?
I am unable to access my account on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is a pay per record download site. It does have Catholic Registers, as well as some other church records. I am not sure if the Church recorded school information, but they definitely recorded bmd records.

A Catholic baptismal record includes the full names of the child, parents and godparents; name of the parish and location; date of birth and baptism. My Father said that subsequent sacraments were also registered with the baptismal parish. If that were the case at one time, I would think it has likely fallen away over time.

My sisters and I were baptized in Glasgow in the 1940s and married in Canada in the 1960s, and we had to have verification of baptism from our birth/baptismal parish.

When my sisters made their first Communion, they made their Confirmation at the same time in Glasgow. In Canada, I made my Communion in first grade and Confirmation in 3rd grade.

You can do some preliminary searches (without cost) on scotlandspeople to see if anything comes up that will help you pin down which records you may choose to pay for.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow