Death certificate query.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

garibaldired

Death certificate query.....

Post by garibaldired » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:37 pm

I always seem to be asking questions! I'm relatively new to genealogy in Scotland (more familiar with the English system) so I keep coming up against things I don't understand!
I have a death certificate for a Jane Downie nee Harper who died in 1932. The place of death is given as 32 Glasgow Road, Perth and her usual address is in Kinross. Does anyone know whether this is a hospital or similar?
Also I can't read the informant's name but the relationship appears to be "Occupier".
Can anyone explain please? :?

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:56 pm

Hi Garibaldired

Is is possible for you to upload the image of the Death Record to our gallery so we can all have a peek at the informant name and death address?

If you click on the "Gallery" tab above and then select "upload file" from the menu choices at the top of that page you should be able to accomplish this. Threre is a "Help With Deciphering Writing" section just for problems like yours! You'll need to be able to locate the file in your computer and then the rest is up to us to approve the image and we'll place a link to it into your post when it's ready.

Best wishes
Jean

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:31 pm

On doing a Google search, this address now gives you a Perth & Kinross Council Social Work Department Office (probably old information - see below). On using its postcode on www.streetmap.co.uk gives the approximate location on a modern map. Then looking at various other maps, it seems that this building as the Poorhouse, later known as Bertha Home (Public Assistance Institution).

It can be seen as the Poorhouse on the 1860 Ordnance Survey map at http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/to ... perth.html then you need to select the sheet XCVIII 5.12 at the western outskirts of the town.

More information and some pictures can be found at http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/ ... erth.shtml including a link showing that there may be records available at the AK Bell Library in Perth.

Note: The part that I have not proven, is that the Poorhouse or Bertha Home is the building at number 32 in Glasgow Road. It seems likely, but can someone that know there way around Perth tell us for sure? The Workhouse website, above, goes along with my findings, saying that more recently the building was used as offices by the local authority. Another Google search shows Rosslyn House, described as a former council office, and former Victorian hospital has been divided into flats and extended on by Scotia Homes in 2002.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

winslowsmom

Post by winslowsmom » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:20 pm

I have a record of a 2 year old child dying at the home address, reported by an "Occupier" . I thought at the time that it must be some sort of paid babysitter. I will be interested to hear any more about this
kind of informant as well.

Happy Holidays
Cathy H

DavidWW

Re: Death certificate query

Post by DavidWW » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:03 pm

garibaldired wrote:I always seem to be asking questions! I'm relatively new to genealogy in Scotland (more familiar with the English system) so I keep coming up against things I don't understand!
I have a death certificate for a Jane Downie nee Harper who died in 1932. The place of death is given as 32 Glasgow Road, Perth and her usual address is in Kinross. Does anyone know whether this is a hospital or similar?
Also I can't read the informant's name but the relationship appears to be "Occupier".
Can anyone explain please? :?
Garibaldired

Near certain that 32 Glasgow Road is some form of institution, especially given that there is a "Usual Residence" address for the deceased, - 11 Sluiceburn, Kinross.

I read the informant as John Hutcheon, Occupier ............

David
Last edited by DavidWW on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:03 pm

First JeanJeanie, I've spent most of the afternoon trying to upload it! No luck. Even just got my son on the task ...and he can't do it either. I give up!

Thanks for all that Andrew. I too did a google search but hadn't got anywhere near the amount of information you did, so thanks very much for all that. I'm hoping that someone (local?) may be able to confirm your suspicions.
The idea of occupier gets even more intriguing with CathyH's post doesn't it?

Meg

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:26 pm

Hi Meg

I'm sorry the gallery is giving you problems. But then we can't make it easier for folks if we don't know we have problems in the first place!! Please don't feel it's your fault for not figuring it out as you are far from the first to have difficulty :!: Is there anything I can try to explain that will help??? To be totally honest I even have trouble with it myself..... :roll:

Best wishes
Jean

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:05 pm

Jean,

Every time I try to upload I just get a message saying I haven't uploaded and that I need to check with my server to see if it allows it :?
Glad to hear I'm not alone!

Anyway the extract seems to have been satisfactorily decoded now! Thanks David. I was hoping for a relative though not an occupier!! :!:

Meg

jalawn

Re: Death certificate query.....

Post by jalawn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:19 pm

I also have just found a death certificate on Scotlands People website, in 1926, with a person I am searching for having died at 32 Glasgow Rd, with usual residence Westfield, Rattray, reported by John Hutcheon, occupier, then the record underneath this one is also for a person who died at 32 Glasgow Rd, usual residence Perth, reported also by John Hutcheon, occupier. Surely it's an old hospital that may have been a Poorhouse previously.

Currie

Re: Death certificate query.....

Post by Currie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:09 pm

Hello jalawn, and welcome to TalkingScot.

The 1935 Perth directory has for 32 Glasgow Road: John Hutcheon governor ….. Lizzie M. C. Bennett, matron ….. George Keith, porter. Appears to be on the corner of Glover Street. https://archive.org/stream/lesliesdirec ... 0/mode/2up

John R. Hutcheon is governor of Bertha home, 32-34 Glasgow road. https://archive.org/stream/lesliesdirec ... 6/mode/2up

See previous posts & https://canmore.org.uk/site/159044/perth-poorhouse

Alan