1851 census now on Scotlandspeople! .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:37 pm

Well unsuprisingly enough my Waddells are not there unless their name doesn't begin with W at all which would not surprise me at all.
Are their any missing as in never been there for Perth where I expected to find them given the ages places of birth of the younger children.?
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:47 pm

Very disappointed ..........all of the John Ferguson's from Greenock that were of interest to me are missing (no image).

Ina
Current AG chair

Merlot
Global Moderator

Post by Merlot » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:09 pm

Robert McLean, in Glasgow 1841/1861/1881 1891
Not in Glasgow in 1851. Grrrrrr :?
Disappeared with Finlay McMillan no doubt just to annoy me.

Merlot
Researching:- Cameron, McMillan, Gray, McLean, More, Hastie, McLiver, Dunipace.....

Bertha

Post by Bertha » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:32 pm

YIPPEEEE!!!

Found my Ross's, whole family living at Tynecastle Depot. Wonderful, now I know my gr gr gr grandad did not die in Police Custody (on his death certificate place of death given as Tynecasle Police Depot). Seems he was a labourer working there.
Funny thing is, part of Gorgie Road in Edinburgh is called Ross Terrace! Its just before White Park on the side opposite football stadium.
Anyone know of a good old ordance survey map that might actually pinpoint the depot?
Happy hunting everyone now going to look for the rest of the gang.
Regards
Bertha
looking for
Nelson/Neilson,Wood,McDonald,Baillie - East Lothian
McLaren,Ross,Kelly,McEwan,Nicholson,Price/Pryce,Telfer,Robertson, Dickson/Dixon, Gibson,Niven Edinburgh

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:12 pm

Hi Bertha

Great news!!

Happy hunting for the rest of them

Jean

Lahb

Post by Lahb » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:36 pm

I'm with Ina - all my John McLeans in Renfrew that I'm interested in have no images attached... :cry: They are trying to rescan these aren't they? Seem to remember some such comment?
McFarlane, Harkley, Innes, McLean,Davie,Rainey

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

1851 Census

Post by Liz Turner » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:45 pm

Quite hilarious! I've been on Scotland's People for the past hour and hadn't even noticed!!!

I was resigned to an even longer wait .... :oops:
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

catbug

Post by catbug » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:44 pm

Oh no! I have eventually found an 1851 census entry in Glasgow which could help demolish one of my many brick walls and there is no image :( . I don't seem to have much luck with this family history business!

Cat

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: 1851

Post by AndrewP » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:08 pm

Bertha wrote:Found my Ross's, whole family living at Tynecastle Depot. Wonderful, now I know my gr gr gr grandad did not die in Police Custody (on his death certificate place of death given as Tynecasle Police Depot). Seems he was a labourer working there.
Funny thing is, part of Gorgie Road in Edinburgh is called Ross Terrace! Its just before White Park on the side opposite football stadium.
Anyone know of a good old ordance survey map that might actually pinpoint the depot?
Hi Bertha,

I can only find one map that names the depot.

http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/ea ... cfm?id=784

The police depot can be found at the westmost edge of this map, between the light blue portion an the edge of the map.

And a quote from on the following webpage implies that the Heart of Midlothian Football Club's Tynecastle Park was built on the site of the depot.

--> Scottish Parliament document <--
  • The estates and farmland at Dalry were swallowed by a mixture of residential and industrial development, along with a football ground at the former police depot at Tynecastle. To the southwest however, other than the industrial developments along the water of Leith, the areas of Gorgie, Saughton, Sighthill and Gyle remained rural.
All the best,

Andrew Paterson

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:19 pm

Hi Ina,

Thought I'd got some of those local "Unreadables" for you. (if not I will)

Davie is completely correct (as usual) that over 13,000 images aren't available but they were indexable!!!!!

You should try the "Port" and parts of Greenock for McCurdys! Most are unavailable but I have them in my 1851 database, and have had for years. (unfortunately without images).

It's a problem of paper colour and ink (pencil doesn't fade: ever - Ink does).

Don't have the time just now but I hope Davie picks up on this.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.