1851 census now on Scotlandspeople! .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:24 pm

Well Done Andrew =D>

I was going skelly trying to find it for Bertha 8-[
Wilma

Bertha

Post by Bertha » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:27 pm

Hi Andrew
Many thanks for the map that's made my night. I knew about the depot now being Tynecastle but was curious as to whether this was correct.
Reason being, the census page I found it on also included entries for Damhead Farm but when I did a search at NAS on this, it said it was in Loadhead. This makes the St Cuthbert's parish rather large! Have I got it wrong? The header page was quite unreadable!

All the best and thanks again
Bertha
looking for
Nelson/Neilson,Wood,McDonald,Baillie - East Lothian
McLaren,Ross,Kelly,McEwan,Nicholson,Price/Pryce,Telfer,Robertson, Dickson/Dixon, Gibson,Niven Edinburgh

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: 1851

Post by AndrewP » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Bertha wrote:... Reason being, the census page I found it on also included entries for Damhead Farm but when I did a search at NAS on this, it said it was in Loadhead.
There are probably many Damheads. Damhead between Lothianburn and Loanhead is one that still shows on a current map. Damhead Farm can be seen a short distance west of Tynecastle on this map.

http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/ea ... cfm?id=425
Bertha wrote:This makes the St Cuthbert's parish rather large! Have I got it wrong? The header page was quite unreadable!
St Cuthberts parish was large compared to the neighbouring Edinburgh parishes. It originally covered the (then) rural areas surrounding Edinburgh, and urban areas outside the Edinburgh City and Canongate parishes, out to the boundaries of the surrounding parishes - clockwise from north North Leith, South Leith, Duddingston, Liberton, Colinton, Corstorphine and Cramond. St Cuthberts parish is shown in pink on the above mentioned map.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

Bertha

Post by Bertha » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:17 am

Andrew

Amazing stuff, thank you so much for taking the the time. I think you do a wonderful job helping numties like me!
I drive over this farmland several times a week, by my reckoning, its just south of Murrayfield or under the rail bridge and round the corner!
Your assistance has been much appreciated
Good night
Bertha
looking for
Nelson/Neilson,Wood,McDonald,Baillie - East Lothian
McLaren,Ross,Kelly,McEwan,Nicholson,Price/Pryce,Telfer,Robertson, Dickson/Dixon, Gibson,Niven Edinburgh

wini

1851 Census

Post by wini » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:27 am

Just had a go and my Gunn's from Durness and Munro's from Glasgow are there haven't tried the McPhees in Skye yet, but will later.
Some of the images aren't great but legible.

I have my credit card on my desk beside me and I am thinking that is a mistake.
I feel as if it is like an alcoholic with a bottle beside them or a smoker with their packet of cigarettes.

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

AnneH

1851 census - what district is Maryhill in?

Post by AnneH » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:18 pm

Hi,

New to this forum so hope I am posting in the right place!

I have been told the following info re my Tarlton/Tarleton etc family -
Thomas Tarlton was in Maryhill in 1851 with what looks like his mother
Mary - Thomas was 28 and Mary 53
The Reference is District 604 Book 7 Page 26

Which county/district would Maryhill, Glasgow, come under in the 1851 online census? Would it be Barony?

I have tried to find Thomas and Mary online but no joy so far. Wonder if the name has been mis-spelt or perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place. :?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Anne

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:54 pm

Hello Anne and Welcome!

Yes Maryhill should be found under Barony records for this census. My own people are in Maryhill. Makes no difference if you search "glasgow city" and "barony" or just "all" and "barony". I'm not sure of the reference you give for the district being 604. All the GRO references for Barony come under district 622. I had a quick look for Tarlton and found none. It's possible it's been mis-indexed. I've found several errors in indexing for this census and have sent in and received a confirmation contact form. If you can't find them and know for certain they are there then I suggest you also complete a contact form from the SP site and let them know of your concerns.

Best wishes
Jean

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:36 pm

1851 Census---Fantastic!

I've been sick and out of commission for the past week and wasn't aware 1851 was online until I came onto to TS late last night. Found several families and finally have confirmation my Hearty/McDonald greats... were together and originally from Armagh. Great Stuff!

Regards,
AnneH

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:46 pm

Hi AnneH and Welcome to Talking Scot!

I thought for a minute I was delirious when I saw your user name and post as a newcomer...thought for a minute I'd re-registered myself and couldn't remember :lol: Anyway, good luck with your research...lots of experts on this site to help with your queries.

Regards,
Anne H

AnneH

Post by AnneH » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:40 pm

JustJean wrote: Hello Anne and Welcome!
I'm not sure of the reference you give for the district being 604. All the GRO references for Barony come under district 622. I had a quick look for Tarlton and found none. It's possible it's been mis-indexed.

Jean
Thank you Jean for your welcome.

Regarding the 1851 and the Tarlton family, as you say, it might have been mis-indexed. They are there somewhere, I'm sure! I will keep on looking in other areas using wildcard searches etc. and if I cannot find them, I will do as you suggest and contact SP.

Many thanks
Anne