BIRTH AT WOODILEE.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Liza

BIRTH AT WOODILEE.....

Post by Liza » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:36 pm

We recently discovered that a great aunt who spent the latter half of her life at Woodilee gave birth to a baby girl there a few months after her admission. This was in 1922. Does anyone have any clues how we trace what became of that child. We can find no death record. What would the normal fate have been for babies born there "out of wedlock"? Any help would be appreciated.

nelmit

Re: BIRTH AT WOODILEE

Post by nelmit » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:55 pm

Liza wrote:We recently discovered that a great aunt who spent the latter half of her life at Woodilee gave birth to a baby girl there a few months after her admission. This was in 1922. Does anyone have any clues how we trace what became of that child. We can find no death record. What would the normal fate have been for babies born there "out of wedlock"? Any help would be appreciated.
Hello Liza,

You could start off by emailing the archives -
a.tough@archives.gla.ac.uk They are very helpful.

There is a little bit about the hospital - Here

Regards,
Annette M

Liza

Post by Liza » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:43 pm

Thanks Annette but have already drawn a blank there I'm afraid.

Margaretk

Post by Margaretk » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:18 am

I had the same situation with a female relative in 1896. Her baby was born in Woodilee 29 January 1896. The baby died in Merryflats (Govan) 29 June 1897. The baby's birth was not registered until just before her death.
I presumed that the reason for the move from Woodelee to Merryflats was because of the mother's liabilty to the Govan Parish.

You can't find a death certificate, there is the chance that the baby born in 1922 is still alive.

Try asking at the Heatherbank Museum of Social Work if there was a procedure/policy for the care of babies born in Woodilee

Margaret

ail2306

Re: BIRTH AT WOODILEE.....

Post by ail2306 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi There
Don't know if you had any luck yet. In my search I found this post so hope it helps. If you call the Mitchell Library in Glasgow and tell them you want to be able to search the Woodilee Hospital Records they will give you a number to call for the right department. Think it's the Glasgow University that hold these records. I recently done this and have found a member of my family's record. We are going to view it in a couple of weeks. They will search with what information you have and if you're lucky, and they have the record, they might do the same for you.
All the best in your search
A