Kelly family in Anderston and Govan, Glasgow.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

AnneMT

Post by AnneMT » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:20 pm

Thanks for info re Kelly family, and the Poor Relief records, sorry taken so long to get back re visit to Park Circus. Have never checked Poor Relief records, but this interesting info. Agree with John Kelly's children's details

Got some info, but not as much as I had hoped. Spent most of morning on fruitless search for other family. Did manage to find some info abt Kellys. Details follow.

Michael Kelly, 47, died 04-10-1929, cause probably fracture dislocation spine, on board SS Baron Stranraer at Berth, no. 22 Queens Dock (usual resid. 24 Macbeth St., Glasgow). His widow Mary Carroll. they married in 1910 St. Mary's, Glasgow.

Annie Kelly, 75, widow of William Black Robertson died in Victoria Inf. (usual resid. 50 Wanlock St., Glasgow). Death reptd by son Andrew.

Andrew Kelly, married to Elizabeth Carroll, died 1943 (usual resid. 48 Wanlock St., Glasgow - death reported by daughter Elizabeth Kelly, 50 Wanlock St., Glasgow.

John Kelly, died aged 69 in 1922 (usual resid. 50 Holms St., Govan).

Re problems with census. 1851 census on scotlandspeople has them indexed as Killy, not Kelly. 1861 census shows them at Stobcross St., but as Kenny, not Kelly. Would appear to be our family, as Patrick's birth cert, though in name of Kenny, shows parents as Michael and Unity. Patrick died in 1870, aged 13. Cannot make out cause of death - looks like "Serofula"??? Any suggestions???

Finally, as yet, have no info about Michael and Unity's daughter Rosa, born abt 1851 in Glasgow. Will let you know if I find anything.
Researching Brogan, Waters/Watters, Docherty, Creaney/Craney, Cairnon and variations, Carley,Mellon, Grier/Greer, Kelly, Quigley, Glen, Hynds and many more

AnneMT

Post by AnneMT » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:29 pm

Tom Waters wrote:Hi , Iam Tom Waters , ex- Govanite, what Waters family are you researching.
Hi there.

I am descended from Peter Waters/Watters,(my great grandfather) who was married to Mary Kearney. They seem to have lived in Calderbank, Chapelhall areas of Lanarkshire, but moved to Parkhead, Glasgow, where my grandfather was born. My grandfather and most of his siblings continued to live in and around the Parkhead area, and were involved in the steel industry.

Peter's parents were Mick Waters and Jane Conlin. Not sure what part of Ireland they came from, but could have been Co. Down.
Researching Brogan, Waters/Watters, Docherty, Creaney/Craney, Cairnon and variations, Carley,Mellon, Grier/Greer, Kelly, Quigley, Glen, Hynds and many more

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi Anne

Just cottoned on to your post and the other contributions.

Quote:
Is it true, that if you have high blood pressure and fluid prevention, you will have boiling water????

Not sure about that Anne. We may have to have Russell's input on the medical side of the question, but it would be handy for a cup o' tea on the go

Not quite sure where your quote comes in but I would assume that it should read Water Retention?

Poor Patrick who died in 1870 was yet another to succumb to one of the nastier forms of Tuberculosis. SCROFULA was a variety which affected the lymphatic glands in the neck from which pus burst out onto the surface and prior to antibiotics your body either overcame the infection, or was overcome by it.
Not a nice way to go. He probably had the TB in other body systems too.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

bluebell2go

Post by bluebell2go » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi Russell

I'm new to this forum and family research in general.

One of my family died in Barnhill Poorhouse as an infant of scrofulosis as well as pertussis, which I believe is whooping cough.
Is scrofulosis the same thing as scrofula? As you say, it sounds a horrible death.

Also. his mother, my GGgm, Margaret McIlwain, managed to have two children while in the poorhouse. From what I've read the males and females were kept separate. Can you shed any light on this?
Lockhart Pitkethly Mackie McMail Woodburn
Stead McIlwain Burns Brown Moreland Thomson
Gallacher Cowan Craig McWilliam McBroom McWhinnie Paterson Dawson Gribben Binnie

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:47 pm

Also. his mother, my GGgm, Margaret McIlwain, managed to have two children while in the poorhouse. From what I've read the males and females were kept separate. Can you shed any light on this?
It might help you to know that not all the work done by poorhouse inmates was done on-site. Providing they were fit enough, (based on their standards, not what might be acceptable today), they were often "hired out" to local farms and other places to earn their keep.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:23 pm

Hi Bluebell

Yes Scrofulosis was basically the same thing. Probably multiple leaking wounds on the neck. Most folk have been aware of the glands in the side of the neck when they get slightly swollen because of infection of some sort. There are quite a few there.

Just to add to Mary's comments.
Most Poorhouses were run by a husband and wife team. Scottish establishments were slightly better than their English counterparts. Long term, full-time residents tended to be the disabled, the very elderly, people with learning disability or non-threatening mental illnesses.
Many more of the poor in a parish would be supported at home and it was only those who had no home who would become resident. As Mary said, if they could work and earn something to reduce the burden on the parish then they were hired out, or went out to work usually at menial tasks.
I have a description of the Merryflats Poorhouse written by the Matron of what became the Southern General Hospital. It sounded awful - and she thought so too - so nobody went in there from choice that's for sure.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:27 pm

Hi Bluebell
...and a warm welcome toTaking Scot :D

At http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Scotland.shtml (a good site for Poorhouse info)
it states:
The operation of poorhouses in Scotland was in many respects based on that adopted for workhouses in England and Wales. Inmates were classified as follow:

Males above the age of 15 years
Boys above the age of 2 years, and under that of 15 years
Females above the age of 15 years
Girls above the age of 2 years, and under that of 15 years
Children under 2 years of age
Segregation of inmates, particularly of males and females, was also enforced.For paupers entering the poorhouse, life was strictly regulated. There was a prescribed daily routine and work was expected to be performed by inmates according to their capabilities. Inmates were required to wear the poorhouse uniform. An inmate's own clothes were "purified" by steaming it for three hours and then placing it in store until the inmate left the poorhouse.
Best wishes
Lesley

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:38 pm

Lesley is right, that site is great for Poorhouse stuff.

Here is the link on there to Barnhill Poorhouse.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/ ... rony.shtml

Hope it helps.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi Bluebell
Just noticed your Pitkethly interest. Don't have any in my tree but know where the place is (Perthshire) and know of one or two with that surname in the neighbouring Fife area. Is that where yours are from?

I have some Woodburns though - Edinburgh area, late 1800s/early 1900s...

Best wishes
Lesley

bluebell2go

Post by bluebell2go » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:52 pm

Many thanks to all for the responses to my question on the poorhouse and for the link. I liked the criticism that tea and bread was a mischievous indulgence!

My GGgm was definitely resident in Barnhill. I checked out the Poor Relief Application and found that she had been deserted by her husband, left homeless and pregnant with two young children. Frank McCourt and Catherine Cookson, eat your hearts out!

My Woodburn is Agnes, mother of my GGgm, Elizabeth McMail. According to her MC, (Galston, Ayrshire to John Mackie, 1874) Elizabeth was born in 1849, was a domestic servant in Royal Bank, Stevenston. I'm assuming this was a farm or house and not a financial institution. I've found a few Woodburns and McMails, but not with firm enough connections to keep spending the SP credits.

I've been puzzling over the Pitkethly name. My GGgm, Euphemia Dawson was born in 1816, and when she died in 1876 in Kinnoull, Perthshire, her son-in-law, as informant, named Euphemia Pitkethly, as her mother and William Dawson as father. I have found a few Euphemia Pitkethlys but the details don't seem right. I'm thinking perhaps that the son-in-law didn't know his wife's grandmother and took a guess at the name. I've found a William Dawson, married to a Girzel Pitkethly and I need to check this out a bit further.
Lockhart Pitkethly Mackie McMail Woodburn
Stead McIlwain Burns Brown Moreland Thomson
Gallacher Cowan Craig McWilliam McBroom McWhinnie Paterson Dawson Gribben Binnie