Weild family Dornock/Annan, Dumfries.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

caroline_d

Weild family Dornock/Annan, Dumfries.....

Post by caroline_d » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:43 pm

Hello

I'm looking for anyone with connections to the Weild family. I have traced my gggg grandmother - Agnes Jane Weild, born or baptized (not sure which info is on the record) 28/04/1795, registered in Dornock.

Her father was John Weild, who I think was from Dornock, there is no mention of her mother on her birth details. I know that Agnes married William Blenkinsop in Annan, 04/06/1814. I know of one on their children James - Baptism 18th April 1819 Annan, Dumfriesshire but I have no record if there are other children.

I have been supplied with some of her siblings as follows:

WEILD, James Christening
Birth Date: 28 Jun 1789 Birthplace: , Dornock, Dumfries, Scotland
Recorded in: Dornock, Dumfries, Scotland
Father: John WEILD
Source: FHL Film 1067958 Dates: 1774 - 1795

WEILD, Marion Christening
Birth Date: 3 Jul : , Dornock, Dumfries, Scotland

WEILD, Jannet Christening
Birth Date: 7 Apr 1793 Birthplace: , Dornock, Dumfries, Scotland

WEILD, Margaret Christening
Birth Date: 25 Dec 1799 Birthplace: , Dornock, Dumfries, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 1067958 Dates: 1797 - 1819

WEILD, Esther Christening
Christening Date: 24 Oct 1804 Recorded in: Dornock, Dumfries, Scotland

WEILD, John Christening
Christening Date: 8 Nov 1807 Recorded in: Dornock, Dumfries, Scotland

WEILD, Agnes Christening
Christening Date: 28 Apr 1795 Recorded in: Dornock, Dumfries, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 1067958 Dates: 1774 – 1795

Has anyone come across any of these or any of the Blenkinsops, I would be grateful for your reply.

Regards
Caroline

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:21 pm

Hi Caroline

This seems to me quite a difficult one but perhaps some of the real experts may be able to help.

I've had a look for your Weilds and feel you would be very unlucky if none survived past 1855 and had a statutory death certificate which you could access from the Scotland's People site, see link above. I searched on the names with the surname as W*ld (using * as a wildcard in case they appear as Weald. Wield or Wild. The only option that does not cover is Wilde). I entered the year of birth plus or minus 5 years and foudnthat there are 2 possible Margarets, 2 Janets and 1 James. None of these might be yours but it is worth a try.

Of the Blenkinsops (or Blinkinship as they appear on the IGI) I found no trace. Where did you get the birth of James. I could not find any births on the IGI for William Blenkinsop or variants and mother Agnes in Scotland or England.

I could not find a death for James either, There is no Agnes with the alternative surnames W*ld and Bl*nk*ns*. But there is one Agnes W*ld of about the right age. Might be worth looking at in case she remarried and the informant on her death did not know her previous married name.

Sorry have no dosh to check any of these records out for you but I hope you strike gold with one of them at least.

Did you notice that there is another Blinkinship married in Annan about the same time. Could have been William's brother??

Good luck

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

Steve Weild

Weilds

Post by Steve Weild » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:35 pm

perhaps they emmigrated to Canada/USA or Australia... or perhaps they all died.

Steve Weild (Regina, Canada)

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:13 am

Hello Steve - and a very warm welcome to the madhouse that is TalkingScot.
I'll bet you never thought your very first post would be about your own family name :D

We're a friendly bunch here and enjoy the challenges people bring. Your problems become minor when the group mind gets to work and brick wall demolition is a speciality.

Enjoy your visits.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:01 am

Hello Steve

Welcome to TalkingScot. Russell is correct with saying that, TS can be a little bit of a mad house at times, with all the members rushing around to answer everyone's questions. :D

Regards
Marilyn Morning
Dogs leave paw prints on your heart.
Maxine Morning b. 23 April 1998 d. 14 Nov. 2008
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1718

nelmit

Weild

Post by nelmit » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:12 am

Hello Caroline,

I have tried playing around with the Blinkinship name in the 1851 census(you can even just enter 'B' for the surname but found nothing close.

There are however lots of Weilds and Wields (a couple of who look to be yours) at http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx.

Might be worth a look if you haven't already done so.

Anne M,

I think this is one of those cases where there are no male births indexed on the IGI for that county.

JJ

Kind regards,
Annette M

Steve Weild

Weilds

Post by Steve Weild » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:56 pm

wow, this IS an active board. My own missing link is Andrew Weild. Born 1818 Scotland emmigrated to Maine and in 1850 was married to Fanny (born in the USA), and had sons named James (born 1847) Robert (1850 or 49) and a daughter named Caroline born 1844 who was born in Maine.
He had a sister (or Aunt/cousin/ relative anyway) whose married name was likely Catherine Little born in 1797.

I cannot confirm his birth location or precise date. or connection to the rest of the Weild family or when he left Scotland or when/where died. If there is help out there, I could certainly use it.

Steve

caroline_d

Weild

Post by caroline_d » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:54 pm

Hello

Thanks to everyone for your input so far, apologies as I've not checked the board in a while, but I'm now back into research mode so hope to find out more.

Regarding William Blenkinsop he married Agnes Weild 04 JUN 1814 Annan, Dumfries, Scotland.

I've traced him and Agnes, they finally ended up in Surrey via a Lancashire (all of their children were born in Lancashire). William was a barrister as was one and maybe both sons. I cannot find any siblings of William and think that they may have been born over the border in England as the family seems to have come from that area. IGI shows them a Blinkinship for their marriage details.

I had an email this morning from from someone in Austraila saying that he lived in Annan in the 1906's and there were some Weilds in the next street! Maybe they didn't move far in all those years! So I'm going to see what I can find out from the address he gave.

I've still not managed to trace other Weilds besides the ones in my original posting.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Caroline

melody

weild

Post by melody » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:09 pm

Hello,
Doubt if this helps but I'm searching for Weilds also. I have a Jane Weild born 1820-32? ( each census she is a different age.) Her parents are George Weild mariner and Elizabeth Coulterd. There is a sibling, Margaret Christened April 4 1825 in Annan.
Jane lived in Toxteth Park Liverpool, 70 Lower Henderson st., in the mid to late 1850's. She was living in Gretna Green in 1861 and expecting her third son by a David Pennington whom I am trying to trace. He was a dockworker in Liverpool. She later married Joseph Rutherford.
Happy Hunting,
Melody
mlm

melody

Weild

Post by melody » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:16 pm

Sorry, forgot to add this. There are a lot of Weilds on this 1851 searchable census at www.dumgal.gov.uk I believe it covers some of your area.
Melody
mlm