Inhabitants - Duke of Argyle's Property, Kintyre 1792 .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

McConnachy

Inhabitants - Duke of Argyle's Property, Kintyre 1792 .....

Post by McConnachy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:51 am

I have heard that a book exists called "List of Inhabitants upon Duke of Argyle's Property in 1792". Does anyone have a copy of this? Does anyone know if it is available on-line?

I am searching for details on the McConnachy family on the Kintyre Peninsula. The furtherest back that I have gone is the 1841 census (see below) where I believe my GGGG grandfather was Duncan McConnachy and his wife was Catherin McTavish. I determined Cathrine's surname was McTavish from IGI which has the marriage date as being 18 June 1803 in Saddell.

I wondered if anyone with access to the book called the List of Inhabitants upon Duke of Argyle's Property in 1792 could find out anymore details about both Duncan McConnachy (born c.1775) and Catherin McTavish (born c.1779)? :?:

I also wondered if anyone can explain to me how the IGI website works - eg how I can understand the source information for Duncan and Catherin's marriage details which simply says -

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
M115312 1798 - 1821 1041076 Film 6900468 Film
Sheet: 00

How do I check this source? :?:

Many thanks in anticipation.

McConnachy

Reference to 1841 census for Saddell.

Piece: SCT1841/531 Place: Saddell & Skipness -Argyllshire Enumeration District: 4
Civil Parish: Saddell Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island:
Folio: 4 Page: 9
Address: Grogport

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MCCONNACHY Duncan M 66 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
MCCONNACHY Cathrine F 62 Argyllshire

MCCONNACHY John M 35 Argyllshire
MCCONNACHY Duncan M 29 Argyllshire
MCCONNACHY Ann F 25 Argyllshire
MCCONNACHY Hugh M 20 Argyllshire
MCCONNACHY Archd. M 18 Argyllshire

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:09 am

Morning, McConnachy (or whatever time of day it may be where you are :D ),
The record you found is an extracted one, as you can see at the bottom of the page under the heading Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

This means that it was taken directly from the Old Parish Records and therefore will be on the Scotland's People website. If you can wait 11 days, the rumour is that the OPR images will be available on Scotland's People (for a fee), so you can see the original. Otherwise, depending on where you are, you could look it up in Edinburgh at New Register House, or order the film at your local LDS Family History Center. By far the easiest would be to sit tight for another 11 days...

Do you have the 1851 records for Duncan and Cathrine? It would give more details on the birth location if they lived that long.

Regards,
Sarah

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:49 am

Batch number M115312 tells you M (marriages) and 531 (Parish of Saddell & Skipness) bewteen 1798 and 1821. On looking up the OPRs list, that is OPR book 531/1, containing Saddell (births 1746-1819, marriages 1798-1819) and Skipness (births 1783-1820 and marriages 1801-1821); and no death or burial information for either of the united parishes.

Source call number 1041076 is the number of the LDS microfilm of the OPRs of Saddell and Skipness, and Southend parishes, in the 1981 OPR microfilming series.

Print call number 6900468 refers to a computer printout of the information from that OPR. I have never found a use for that information. Maybe the printout is available to see in Salt Lake City.

All the best,

AndrewP
Paterson ... Midlothian, West Lothian (the Calders, Dalmeny, Ratho)
Muir ... Midlothian (Ratho)
Orr, Cruickshanks, Nimmo ... Lanarkshire (Shotts / Harthill)
Downs ... Stirlingshire (Slamannan, Falkirk)

McConnachy

Post by McConnachy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks for the responses on IGI - very helpful.
the rumour is that the OPR images will be available on Scotland's People (for a fee),
I haven't yet ventured to using SP and will now wait another 2 weeks to try this source of info.
order the film at your local LDS Family History Center
So I can visit a local LDS centre and see a copy of any original record on the IGI website? Is that really true? Even here in Australia? :?:
Do you have the 1851 records for Duncan and Cathrine? It would give more details on the birth location if they lived that long
I don't have the 1851 census for Sadell as it is not on FreeCen. Maybe it is on SP but I as I said above I have yet to try this website. I will shortly but I have been trying to do my research without incurring great expense. :oops:

Does anyone know of the List of Inhabitants upon Duke of Argyle's Property in Kintyre in 1792? As I understand it, it is a republished book from c.1991 which sets out all the people living on the Kintyre peninsula in 1792. Does anyone know about this book? Does anyone have access to it re Duncan McConnachy or Cathrine McTavish? :?:

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:07 pm

McConnachy wrote:So I can visit a local LDS centre and see a copy of any original record on the IGI website? Is that really true? Even here in Australia? :?:
You will have to order it and pay a small fee, but yes, I believe you can.

I checked mcconnachy (soundex) for 1851 Argyll, born 1775 +/- 10 years

There are 3 in Saddell: John b. 1783, Alexr b. 1775, Barbra b. 1785

There is a Cathrina b. 1782 in Campbelton, a pauper, at Church Street East Side, living with Mary Williamson, age 5, listed as granddaughter

No Duncans that I can see.

In case the Saddell ones are interesting, here are the details:
John McConochy, 86, head, Farmer, address: Auchinbreck, born in Saddell
Archd McConochy, 52, son, born Saddell
Dugald McConochy, 41, son, born Saddell
Margt McConochy, 39, daughter, born Saddell
Rose McGonnal, 21, house servant, born Campbeltown
John McConochy, 14, grandson, born Saddell

Alexr, McConochy, 76, head, labourer, address: Barmollach, born in Saddell
Margt McConochy, 60, wife, born in Saddell

Barbra McConochy, 66, head, pauper late labourer wife, address: Barmollach,born in Saddell
Malcom McConochy, 35, son, labourer, born in Skipness
Ann McConochy, 32, daughter-in-law, born in Skipness
Marran Mcconochy, 5, great grandchild, born in Skipness
Duncan McConochy, 4, great grandchild, born in Skipness
Mary McConochy, 1, great grandchild, born in Saddell

(no idea why what look to be the children of the son are called great grandchildren...)

Looks like it might be worth your while to order the film of the Saddell and Skipness Parish Registers at your local LDS center. They do charge a fee also, but it is very low. You can get the details of the film by doing a place search in the Family History Library Catalog. Put in "Saddell" part of: "Argyll" and you get three results: Census, Church records, & Church records- Indexes. The Church records contains a film of the Parish registers, 1756-1857. Unfortunately, there don't appear to be death records for this parish, which is a shame, since it looks as though Duncan and Catherine may have died before 1855 when the death records are readily available on Scotland's People. Admittedly, the records are spotty anyway for deaths before that time, but it's nice when you get lucky!
If you go to your local FHC, I'm sure they will be happy to help you find the right film to order. There is also an index on microfiche, but I'm not sure whether or not you can order that. They will know.

The book you mention is in the FHL in Salt Lake City. Unfortunately, it is a book, not a film, so cannot be ordered from your local FHC. However... I seem to remember hearing from a cousin of mine who is LDS, that an exception is made for interlibrary loan from universities. If you know someone employed at a university, they just might be able to order that book from interlibrary loan. I have not tested this, but it is what I heard-- does anyone else know any better?

Good luck!
Sarah

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi
  • List of Inhabitants upon the Duke of Argyle's Property in Kintyre in 1792 Edited by A. I. B. Stewart
    Published by Scottish Records Society, 1991
    ISBN 0 902054 12 0
Not sure where you would obtain a copy, but at least with the ISBN number you should be able to make some enquiries.
Best wishes
Lesley