Finding a British subject in India?

India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China, Siberia, Far East

Moderator: Global Moderators

alysone

Finding a British subject in India?

Post by alysone » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:24 pm

Hello Everyone,
I wonder if it is possible to trace a relative who was known to be in India sometime between 1900 & 1911? Sorry, I don't have a more definite date. Thanks, alysone
Researching East Lothian Birds, Wilsons, Woods, Maillies, Crookstons, & Cranstons.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi Alysone,
There are some websites listed here:

viewtopic.php?t=5819

and I would also suggest you look at the India Office website which can now be searched:

http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/

I struck gold there the other day :D

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Sarah

edited on 23 Dec 2008 to reflect the change of URL for this site
Last edited by SarahND on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

alysone

No luck but still worth the trip!

Post by alysone » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:55 pm

Hi Sarah,
Alas, I turned up nothing. That isn't surprising as I have not much to begin with! My uncle made the comment that they ate a lot of curry when he was small. His mother (b. 1887) had been in India. He said she accompanied a family for whom she worked as a young woman. She was born in 1887.
I will go back to him & see if he can conjure up any other details.
Great resources! I enjoyed the links, just in themselves. Thanks for your help. alysone
Researching East Lothian Birds, Wilsons, Woods, Maillies, Crookstons, & Cranstons.

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:31 am

Hello Alysone,

This probably won’t help in your situation but might if you knew the name of her employer.

Often special events, births etc, for people working overseas were advertised in the hometown newspapers (e.g. London Times) and possibly departure to and return from an overseas posting may have been reported.

Government appointments to India would probably appear in the London Gazette etc.
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/

Just a thought,
Alan

alysone

Good suggestion

Post by alysone » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the idea. I did find other interesting family items in the Gazettes. Since I haven't enough information on my grandmother's time in India at the moment , I will check back if I can get more details as a springboard. I hope to talk to my uncle soon. He is 87 so I can't push too hard but he might remember more if I ask the right questions. alysone

StewL

What does the India Office records cover

Post by StewL » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:45 am

Hi all

I have been asked to see if I can find some long losts of my mother-in-law
I know she was born in India, but I just found out today that her mother was born there too. It seems the family went there sometime in the late 1800's or at least perhaps from 1850 onward. It also appears that one of her ancestors married a maharajah and they returned to England.
Any help would be appreciated.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:37 am

Hello Stewie,

Almost didn’t see you all the way down here.

I think the first thing I would do would be to check out this freebee while it’s still running, that’s if you haven’t already done so. In particular the 1600-1900 British Newspapers and also the London Times.
http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11449

Four India links in the Asia sticky.

Families in British India Society site www.fibis.org
The British in India www.indiaman.com
Army cemeteries: www.indian-cemeteries.org
Graves http://www.kabristan.org.uk/

India Office Records Sarah mentioned earlier http://www.bl.uk/collections/orientaloffice.html

Then the London Gazette especially for references to Military and Civil Service types.
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/

Hope this gets you started,
Alan

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:45 pm

Thanks Alan
I just got asked about trying to have a look for this lot today.
I only know that my m-i-l grandparents were Crawford-Splain no given names so it might be a bit of a stretch.
But I will have a try when I can.

Ta
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:22 am

Hi all
I finally managed to find some information on my m.i.l.s birth and parents.
I won’t put her name here as she is still living b 9 Nov 1930, Lucknow, India, but her parents were:
Cecil Ligonier Victor Fisher and Dorothy Eileen Crawford
M 24 Jul 1930 Naini Tal, Bengal India
Cecil was born about 1907 Canterbury, Kent and Dorothy was born about 1910 Woolwich, Greater London, Kent on their marriage Cecil was a soldier in the Seaforth Highlanders.
Now I hope to be able to get some information on who her ggrandparents were, further information is that they (or one of the lines) spent a lot of time in India (possibly two generations?) and that Cecil's father was an army officer.
Looks like the search has just begun. :lol: and yes it looks like a hasty marriage :lol:
Stewie

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:45 am

Hello Stewie,

It’s nice to know you’re making progress on that one. It’s a good name to research. I’ve seen a few of those hasty marriages but the family story was always “premature”.

Good luck,
Alan